Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I sync my iPhone messages to MacPro?

I have a text conversation on my iPhone5 which I would like to be able to sync to my MacBook Pro, or to be able to save the conversation (with dates) somewhere, not just the text of the messages, but the whole conversation in a transferable or printable form. I do not see Messages on the iCloud.

MacBook Pro, OS Mountain Lion

Posted on May 29, 2013 10:16 PM

3 replies

May 30, 2013 1:00 PM in response to turbocody

Hi,

This is a yes and no answer.

In Mountain Lion you have Messages.

It has an iMessage component - in fact when you start it up for the first time you are encouraged to add an Apple ID to create or register and iMessages account.

The same Apple ID can then be used in Messages on the iPhone.

Depending which way round you set this up the original will get a pop up saying the other device(s) is using the Apple ID and the iPhone Number.

Accepting the pop add the relevant "Aliases" to the Receive and Send parts of the individual apps.

When you have created this "Start Point" then iMessages sent to your iPhone or to the Apple ID will be synced to the Mac version.

The same is true of iMessages sent to the Mac (actually people are sending to you as identified by both iPhone Number and Apple ID) and these sync in the other direction to the iPhone.

Messages (SMS) from non iPhone devices will not be synced to the Mac.

Messages prior to the Start Point also will not be synced.

The Mac version has a Save on Closing to store Conversation (iMessages) and Chats (Buddy list as per iChat)

These will reappear like they are chats when you call them up.

They are stored in the .ichat format.

I have not found a way to export the iPhone Messages that have not been deleted.

(You can highlight a whole conversation and then "send" it to your Apple ID but it will show as one long text extract with no indication about who said what and lacks even basics like the bubbles to separate things)

User uploaded file
9:00 PM Thursday; May 30, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 27, 2015 4:56 AM in response to turbocody

On iPhone, you can toggle iMessage off (or uncheck Gmail in "Send and Receive), then go to messages > long press a speech bubble > Tap More"> mark texts to send> Tap forward arrow n the lower right corner > enter your email address at the top > move cursor to the text field> Tap send. Then go to your Gmail account and drop the sent message into a label (folder). You can create a label called SMS so that you can sync iPhone messages to MacPro.

Can I sync my iPhone messages to MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.