Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 - Airplay issue

Hi guys,

Having a strange issue with my ATV 3 Airplay function.

I have the following devices:

-Apple TV 3 (Model MD199LL/A, iOS version 5.2.1)

-Apple iPhone 4S (iOS version 6.1.3)

-Macbook Air 11inch (OS X 10.8.3)

The problem is as follows. When my Apple TV has been asleep or not used for a period of time, my iPhone is unable to access it using the Remote App, and is not able to Airplay to it. I can use the normal IR remote to wake the ATV up, but still, im unable to access it using the Remote App, and I am unable to Airplay to it. I am forced to restart the ATV, and also disjoin then rejoin the Wifi on my iPhone to get the connection back.

Now, if i wake up the ATV using the IR remote, and open my Mac, straight away i can Airplay to the device, so the device and network are capable of Airplay from my Mac without the need to reboot the ATV.

I have tried:

-New ATV 3 (mine was recently replaced due to a faulty Wifi chip)

-Restore ATV back to default

-Restore iPhone back to Default

-Reboot router

-Reset router back to factory default

-Tried a different router

-Reinstall Remote App

I'm unsure if the problem lies with the phone or ATV. Considering my MacBook Air has no problem finding the ATV and Airplaying to it makes me think the issue is with my iPhone.

I have also read and tried all steps in the following support articles:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4215

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4546

Anyone have any suggestions?

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on May 30, 2013 12:23 AM

12 replies

Jun 3, 2013 1:50 AM in response to _Explicit

Bumping this back to the top, the problem persists. I have seen a few other posts in here relating to this issue, so I don't seem to be alone!

The warranty for my iPhone runs out this month, so I would like to explore all avenues of troubleshooting to try and resolve the issue. Otherwise I may have to take my phone in to see if someone at the Apple Store can diagnose the issue (i'd like to have concrete evidence that its the phone at fault).

Jul 26, 2013 9:38 PM in response to _Explicit

My Atv3 has been having serious connection issues too. They randomly began a few weeks ago. No settings of any kind have been made to bring this about. I'm using an AirPort Extreme router and iPhone 5, though other iPhone 4's and 5's have the same problem. My retina MacBook pro connects eventually but had some snags with the sound at first. All these devices worked very well weeks ago but now only pictures from my photos seem to display. All video taken my the phone seems to play eventually, but an 11 second video had to buffer for about 30 seconds, then played half before buffering again. ? Video from YouTube, etc., does not work at all now. I'm crossing my fingers for an update soon but haven't seen anything yet. Come on Apple, you're making AirPlay seem stupid. That's iHome's job..

Aug 31, 2013 5:42 PM in response to _Explicit

I have similar hardware:

Apple TV 3

iPhone 4S

WiFi via apple extreme router

After waking the ATV from sleep I could not access iTunes content or use airplay. To reconnect the ATV to the network I'd have to unplug it. Plugging it in again solved the problem temporarily.

In my frustration I called Apple tech support. He had me do a restore and that finally solved the problem permanently.

Restore is found in the menu General > Reset > Restore

Hope that helps.

Scott

Apple TV 3 - Airplay issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.