Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component

I am new to Mac so please forgive my ignorance. I have a Sony video camera which has .mpg files. I wanted to use these files in imovie so I googled how to convert them and came up with MPEG Streamclip. It wiped my MPEG-2 Playback Component. I downloaded it again from the Apple store but when I went to install it told me it was too old for my system. What can I do now?

(P.S. hating that I converting anything to mac is so bloody complicated)

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 30, 2013 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 7:27 AM

Hi, I'm having the same problem and seem to be going round in circles, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding.

So the Mpeg-2 playback is pre-installed in QTX, But Streamclip can't see it. So download Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta and point the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion toward the original QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg

So....

Where do I find a copy of QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg to point streamclip to? I can't find it to buy on the apple pages, I don't have a copy of FCP or anything, so how do I get QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg on to my computer for streamclip to point at. If it's already there somewhere, where do I find it? Nowhere on the net seems to be able to point me anywhere to buy/download this file, they just keep saying "you need it."

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2017 7:27 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi, I'm having the same problem and seem to be going round in circles, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding.

So the Mpeg-2 playback is pre-installed in QTX, But Streamclip can't see it. So download Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta and point the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion toward the original QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg

So....

Where do I find a copy of QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg to point streamclip to? I can't find it to buy on the apple pages, I don't have a copy of FCP or anything, so how do I get QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg on to my computer for streamclip to point at. If it's already there somewhere, where do I find it? Nowhere on the net seems to be able to point me anywhere to buy/download this file, they just keep saying "you need it."

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

May 30, 2013 6:15 AM in response to kjkmkce

This particular aspect is a bit complicated!

As you can read on this page: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-f or-mac-os-x

On OS X Lion and later, MPEG-2 playback functionality is built into QuickTime X. The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is not required and cannot be installed.

From the MPEG Streamclip homepage

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion onwards, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it. See this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3381

To install the component in Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.