Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie slow to import

Last December 2012 I purchased a brand new tricked out imac.

I frequently import video that is native HD and around 1 hour in length. Prior to the last software update to imovie, I could import these into imovie in a couple of hours.

Recently, I've been importing the same type and length of video and now it is taking 6 hours or more.

The funny thing is that when I import the exact same material on a less powerful imac, the import time is a couple of hours.

What is happening here?

Thank you.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on May 30, 2013 5:01 AM

11 replies

May 30, 2013 9:43 AM in response to John Gerads

Firstly: What Formats are you importing from your camera?

Secondly: What codec is being used by quicktime to playback this material?

Thirdly: Once imported are you able to preview all clip thumbnails in realtime or does a beachball appear?

3 separate but important pieces of info and you answers to the above should give us a clearer idea.

May 30, 2013 9:50 AM in response to sabatica

1. importing 1080 HD h.264, .mp4 converted

2. I don't know this information off hand. (I know I should know it, but I don't want to be incorrect)

3. this is the funny piece, when I drag the movie from my desktop into the event I created, I get the beachball, but it imports in half the time. When I let it work for 6-8 hours, then I can preview w/o the beachball

May 30, 2013 9:53 AM in response to John Gerads

this is the funny piece, when I drag the movie from my desktop into the event I created, I get the beachball, but it imports in half the time. When I let it work for 6-8 hours, then I can preview w/o the beachball

Erm Sounds like you need to import your footage using the File menu>>>>Import>>>>Movie to your event browser

Then LET it generate the thumbnails and go from there.

imovie slow to import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.