Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6.0.4 - can no longer set 'start page' to 'blank'

For some unknown reason I am now unable to set my 'startup page' to be a blank page.

I am forced to see an APPLE products page - no matter what I try in the Preferences window.

Up until this incident - which started last night [29/05/13] - I have had no problem setting my Safari start up page to be 'blank'.

Looking for some direction / help.....Much Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:31 AM

6 replies

May 30, 2013 8:48 AM in response to garth.b

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the item you moved.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

May 30, 2013 12:57 PM in response to Linc Davis

Again, thanks.

Using the Apple knowledge I have, I could not find a 'file': com.apple.Safari.plist

under:

Macintosh HD

-- Library

-----Preferences

[Is this because the file is a hidden file?]

So, I followed your second idea, which was:

---------

*If you don't see the contextual menu item,

copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return

---------

I then:

------

"Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. .....Otherwise, delete the item you moved << And so I did.

---------

I believe it works OK now. Much Thanks.

I want you to know that the bad file I threw away - as per your words - was 1.3 MB.

The good file Safari created in its place is just 2 KB!

Does tthis file size difference provide you with an idea of 'what was wrong'

Safari 6.0.4 - can no longer set 'start page' to 'blank'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.