Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie 11 automatically deinterlace during import?

I seem to recollect reading a couple of years ago that video imported into iMove was automatically deinterlaced, threby throwing away half the lines.

Is this true and if so, is there a way to import interlaced footage with no loss?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Little knowledge... many opinions.

Posted on May 30, 2013 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2013 6:30 AM

Ian

From what I read on here, you know a lot more about iMovie, FCP etc, etc, than I do but here are my observations.

I do not believe that iMovie 09 or 11 automatically deinterlaces on import.

I have heard it said that deinterlacing takes place when taking footage from the event to the project.

Others will say that it is on export that deinterlacing takes place.

I carried out many export options in an attempt to get rid of video judder when producing DVD's using iDVD.

This was for video shot in HDV.

I believe that I found a work-flow that maintained interlaced video after export that I could drag into iDVD.

I have not found a work-flow that does this for DV..

My work-flow for HDV may also apply to AVCHD as both are converted to AIC on import , but cannot test this as I do not have suitable AVCHD camcorder.

I only use cross dissolve and fade to black/ fade to white.

All titles appear to be OK. I do not use speed changes or reverse or stabilisation.

This may appear restricting but am happy to just use cross dissolve.If speed change or stabilisation are essential on any bits then you can work on just those in a separate project , export out , import back in to required project.

I share / export using Export using QuickTime --Movie to QuickTime movie.

In options I select in settings Apple Intermediate Codec.In Compressor preset select HDV 1080i and in Size I select Dimensions 1920 x 1080 HD ( note NOT the lower option of HD 1920x 1080 16:9 )

When export is complete you can check this by opening it up in QuickTime Pro.

In Show Movie Properties --video track--visual settings if you toggle on and off the single field and deinterlace you can see a change suggesting to me that the video is not single field or deinterlaced.

This is the only export option that I have found that gives this result, I have tried loads and loads.

I do something else as well to produce judder free video before dragging to iDVD, but that is another story.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian

From what I read on here, you know a lot more about iMovie, FCP etc, etc, than I do but here are my observations.

I do not believe that iMovie 09 or 11 automatically deinterlaces on import.

I have heard it said that deinterlacing takes place when taking footage from the event to the project.

Others will say that it is on export that deinterlacing takes place.

I carried out many export options in an attempt to get rid of video judder when producing DVD's using iDVD.

This was for video shot in HDV.

I believe that I found a work-flow that maintained interlaced video after export that I could drag into iDVD.

I have not found a work-flow that does this for DV..

My work-flow for HDV may also apply to AVCHD as both are converted to AIC on import , but cannot test this as I do not have suitable AVCHD camcorder.

I only use cross dissolve and fade to black/ fade to white.

All titles appear to be OK. I do not use speed changes or reverse or stabilisation.

This may appear restricting but am happy to just use cross dissolve.If speed change or stabilisation are essential on any bits then you can work on just those in a separate project , export out , import back in to required project.

I share / export using Export using QuickTime --Movie to QuickTime movie.

In options I select in settings Apple Intermediate Codec.In Compressor preset select HDV 1080i and in Size I select Dimensions 1920 x 1080 HD ( note NOT the lower option of HD 1920x 1080 16:9 )

When export is complete you can check this by opening it up in QuickTime Pro.

In Show Movie Properties --video track--visual settings if you toggle on and off the single field and deinterlace you can see a change suggesting to me that the video is not single field or deinterlaced.

This is the only export option that I have found that gives this result, I have tried loads and loads.

I do something else as well to produce judder free video before dragging to iDVD, but that is another story.

Does iMovie 11 automatically deinterlace during import?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.