Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import an old mail data store

We had our primaly server HDD crash a couple nights ago. Luckly I had made a clone of the drive a couple months ago.

I had to get mail service restored so at least users can get new incoming mail. Now the question is that I have been able to copy the old mail Data Store directory /var/spool/imap/dovecot/mail off the failed drive. Is there a way merge that old data with the new mail that has recently come in?

Thank you in advance.

Posted on May 30, 2013 12:48 PM

1 reply

May 31, 2013 8:35 PM in response to Jeremy McGill

fortunately, yes- its' faitly easy.

you can work directly with dovecot mail files, so you could, as an example, put the old backup online for everyone.

Then write a script that merges the newly received mail into the user's mail folder.

I don't have a prepared script.. its something I would put together as-needed (each situation is different).

but just knowing that you can merge/combine messages should make it easy for you to find a few solutions.

How to import an old mail data store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.