Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow download...

Hello, I'm trying to download the update OS X Moutain Lion that I bought from the App Store, but it is very slow. Whereas my internet connexion doesn't have any problem. Is there a way to fix it and have a quick upload? Because the "file" is not that heavy and I really don't understand why it takes so much time to get it downloaded (almost 8 hours...).

Thank you for your help! 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on May 30, 2013 2:15 PM

4 replies

May 30, 2013 5:04 PM in response to Sarah917

Because the "file" is not that heavy''

Yes it is.

The Mountain Lion upgrade file is approximately a 4GB file. Even with a high speed broadband connection, that can take at least 45 minutes.

Apple does recommend a high speed broadband internet connection as noted here using Mountain Lion Recovery > OS X: About OS X Recovery

If at some point you had to reinstall OS X or repair the startup disk, that must be done over the internet.

Test the speed on your internet connection > Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

If downloads are not at least 15Mbps, the download may time out before it can finish.

Make sure there's enough free disk space to install Mountain LIon.

Click your Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > System Report > Storage. See Available and Capacity. Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space.

Third party apps such as Little Snitch can prevent apps from downloading as well as anti virus software.

May 31, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Sarah917

There's definitely something going on with the App Store's servers right now. I downloaded an update to Mountain Lion which downloaded very quickly, but Xcode is going very slow. I tried pausing that download and downloaded Pages which downloaded immediately. Then I tried Keynote and it's starting and stopping, which barely anything transferred. I think some of the download servers are having issues so if you happen to get one of those, you're in for a long wait.

Slow download...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.