Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does Safari crash on Pmac G-5 when opening news video's?

I have Safari 5.0.6 OSX.5.8 This happens only on: www.nbcnews.com and msnbc.com. These pages have many

news videos and most crash Safari.

I get an error message from Apple "application quit unexpectedly. The problem may be caused by Flashplayer-10.4-

10.5 Plug in."

What I have done. I went into Library to Safari and sent these files to trash; "com.apple.Safari.plist; History.plist;

and "Last Session.plist." I did not empty trash. Over the last week I saw a slight improvement as I could sometimes

get a few videos to open, but the following one would crash Safari.

Thanks for your consideration.

power Mac G-5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 30, 2013 1:37 PM

7 replies

Jun 5, 2013 11:23 AM in response to travis1

TenFourFox can be made to support plugins like Flash.

Open TenFourFox and type in the address bar: about:config (no spaces) and click return. This gives you a warning that it might harm the application. Ignore that and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' and you get the config file that you can edit - with great care.

Look/search (scroll down) for: tenfourfox.plugins.enabled

Set it to true. (Double click it to toggle it)

Now close TenFourFox, open it again, and Flash will now work, as it now uses the plug-ins that Safari has stored.

I am using Flash 11.5.502.55 in TenFourFox and it works just fine.

Jun 5, 2013 11:25 AM in response to travis1

But of course you have to have Flash Player!

You can check here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ to see which version you should install for your Mac and OS. Note that version 10,1,102,64 is the last version available to PPC Mac users*.

* Unhelpfully, if you want the last version for PPC Macs, you need to go here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html and scroll down to 'Archived Versions/Older Archives'. Flash Player 10.1.102.64 is the one you download. More information here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/838/cpsid_83808.html

You should first uninstall any previous version of Flash Player, using the uninstaller from here (make sure you use the correct one!):

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90906.html

and also that you follow the instructions closely, such as closing ALL applications first before installing. You must also carry out a permission repair after installing anything from Adobe.

(If you are running a PPC Mac with Flash Player 10.1.102.64 and are having problems with watching videos on FaceBook or other sites, try the following solution which fools the site into thinking that you are running the version 11.5.502.55:)

Download this http://scriptogr.am/nordkril/post/adobe-flash-11.5-for-powerpc to your desktop, unzip it, and replace the current Flash Player plug-in which is in your main/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder, (not the user Library). Save the old one just in case this one doesn't work.

Jun 12, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Klaus1

Here's the bad news. I'm not computer smart. I went to adobe archive files and found the player you mention

in paragraph 2 10.1.102.64 ..(in paragraph 1 you mention 10,1,102,64, note comma's in 1st and periods

in 2nd. I downloaded but it apparently wasn't successful.

I downloaded their uninstaller, restarted my Mac, went to Utilities, did a repair disk and now I have no

flash player and don't know what version I zapped.

Can't call Apple Care as they probably won't speak to me even though I would have to pay.

Any suggestions for a simple step-by-step way to get something back.

I wonder if i-pad can access utube since Apple doesn't suppport Flash Player?

Not a tragedy, just a pain for countless Mac users.

peace

Jun 27, 2013 1:24 PM in response to travis1

Klas: TENFOURFOX

I was able to follow your instructions...about:config ,,scroll down and double toggle plug-in enabled so it was set

to TRUE. I could't get my menu bar back or anything from Safari.

This is my question: I opened a folder on my desktop and saved adobe 10.1 in this folder.

I did not uninstall anything or download 11.5 from Adobe. I did not go to Utilities/permissions OR uninstall

Adobe, OR repair disk permissions.

I feel so close to nailing this problem. If possible go to your stupid mode (-: and assume I do not write code

and am an idiot. If you have the time and patience would you try to help me?

There is a person on UTUBE who has a fix for the Adobe Flash problem that is very simple! Problem, it

doesn't work for me.

Thank you for your consideration and all the help you give to those who feel desperate!!

Best Regards, Brian, Manchester, CT USA

Jun 27, 2013 3:16 PM in response to travis1

I was able to follow your instructions...about:config ,,scroll down and double toggle plug-in enabled so it was set

to TRUE. I could't get my menu bar back or anything from Safari.

Sorry, not sure what one has to do with the other!

This is my question: I opened a folder on my desktop and saved adobe 10.1 in this folder.

I did not uninstall anything or download 11.5 from Adobe. I did not go to Utilities/permissions OR uninstall

Adobe, OR repair disk permissions.

Try the work flow I suggested instead.

why does Safari crash on Pmac G-5 when opening news video's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.