Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 factor authentication avail in Canada?

Two weeks ago I started the process of using 2 factor authentication on my AppleID. Today I received an email saying that the waiting period is over and I can proceed. According to this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570 page I should see 2 factor authentication under Password and Security page. Well I do not see anything re 2 factor authentication. Apparently that happens when

" When your country is added, two-step verification will automatically appear in the Password and Security section of Manage My Apple ID when you sign in to My Apple ID"

In other words it appears that 2 factor authentication is not available to Canada. Sigh if this is the case then why allow me to initiate the process and then email me to tell me its available when its not???

iPad 2, Windows 7

Posted on May 30, 2013 8:56 PM

31 replies

Aug 22, 2013 3:40 PM in response to frozen999

I've had the problem of poor access to SMS 2-factor authentication for Canadian customers of other web companies offering the service, and the answer has almost always been that the Canadian telco companies or the Canadian SMS aggregator companies which control access to SMS services are responsible for the delay due to money considerations and/or corporate bureaucracy intestinal blockage.

It will get sorted out eventually, I hope (e.g. it took at least a year for Yahoo to sort it out vwith Telus/Koodo).

Aug 23, 2013 9:59 AM in response to frozen999

I was told on other forums (not by the companies involved) that the way it works is more or less this: a company like Apple does not want to deal with each and every telco company offering SMS to consumers (and vice-versa), so Apple signs on with one or more "SMS aggregators" that offer wholesale SMS access to grouped telco SMS systems, and implements the necessary machine-to-machine access protocols so that Apple's systems talk to the SMS aggregator systems to send the SMS through to individual consumers.

Anyway, something like that! And it all takes considerable time, money and effort to coordinate, apparently...

Jan 12, 2014 5:21 AM in response to OoO_Bailey_OoO

I have a couple of AppleIDs. Both have Cdn addresses registered.

One started life as a mac.com account. It got converted to an AppleID when mac.com folded years ago. It don't use it much. That account has the two-factor authorization available. i haven't enabled the feature, but it is available to me on the Password and Security page.

The second is my primary AppleID account. Two-factor authorization option is not visible on that account.

The lack of 2Factor on Canadian accounts has nothing to do with difficulties in dealing with the wireless carriers or SMS aggregators, as suggested by mjdl above. It's purely an Apple administrative issue.

2 factor authentication avail in Canada?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.