Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i download Apples Java SE 6?

I downloaded Oracle's Java 7 and i need to get back to Java 6 to run certain applications. When i try apples help to revert back, i find that Java 6 no longer exists on my computer. How do i get it back so that i can switch to run on it.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:14 PM

14 replies

Nov 9, 2017 2:31 PM in response to macjack

that is what i also tried. the problem with that is 1) in order to do that the Java 6 version needs to be on the computer to change to which is not the case for me and 2) the command line calls a directory to the internet plug in folder which for some reason is empty. ive reinstalled java 7 many times to try to get this plug in in there but it is not working

Nov 9, 2017 2:31 PM in response to macjack

no it won't. tried it several times. I have a feeling it recognizes an updated version and cant complete the instal

May 31, 2013 3:53 PM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:

You can only do Java 6 applications (i.e. "java" from the command line). Java 1.6 applets are forever dead. Gone. Period.

Utter nonsense. I've both installed on Mtn Lion. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559 explains how to select the SE 6 plug-in. The requisite 1.6.0 JDK resides in the /System/Library/Java/JVM folder. If you want to determine the installed Java 7 JRE, run this in the Terminal app:

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version

This is what's on my machine:

java version "1.7.0_21"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b12)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.21-b01, mixed mode)

Whereas, for Java 6, the java -version command shows:

java version "1.6.0_45"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_45-b06-451-10M4406)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.45-b01-451, mixed mode)

Java for OS X 2013-003 updates the Apple-provided system Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_45 on Lion and ML volumes. Now, it might be that the OP will have to extract and install a previous SE 6 JRE from an applicable OS installer app.

How do i download Apples Java SE 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.