Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about location of iPhoto Library.

Recently, I noticed that I used up a lot of memory on my Macbook Pro (it says that only 33.26/250.14 GB is available). Because of this, I downloaded a program called DaisyDisk in order to try and see what exactly was taking up all of my space. One of the things that I saw which confused me a lot was the existence of what seemed to be two different locations of my iPhoto library (I have attached screenshots of what I saw below, which includes where the files are located).

Is this normal? Or is something wrong that I need to fix?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2013 8:00 PM

The second one is in the wrong location. For some reason it's been placed in the sandbox container for the Chess application. Go to this folder and move the library to the Trash. DaisyDisk might be able to reveal this file, or otherwise follow the path to this location mentioned in Daisy Disk (you can get to the User library by holding the Option key and choosing the Library from the Go menu in the Finder). Then rename the library in here to something like "iPhoto Library 2" and place it in your standard username > Library folder.

Now open iPhoto to see if the program prompts you to locate the library. If so then choose the desired one, and then remove the other.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2013 8:00 PM in response to MuzikBoi16

The second one is in the wrong location. For some reason it's been placed in the sandbox container for the Chess application. Go to this folder and move the library to the Trash. DaisyDisk might be able to reveal this file, or otherwise follow the path to this location mentioned in Daisy Disk (you can get to the User library by holding the Option key and choosing the Library from the Go menu in the Finder). Then rename the library in here to something like "iPhoto Library 2" and place it in your standard username > Library folder.

Now open iPhoto to see if the program prompts you to locate the library. If so then choose the desired one, and then remove the other.

May 30, 2013 8:16 PM in response to MuzikBoi16

These are the Chess folder's "container" which is an isolated structure of your home folder specific for the Chess application. If you delete them the system will recreate these for the Chess program the next time it is launched. Some of these folders (especially the Library folder) may hold settings for Chess, but this program does not have many settings (besides saved games), so you should not see any problems.

Confused about location of iPhoto Library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.