Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail App Not Accepting Gmail Password

This is crazy. I changed my Google Password, and I can access my Gmail in Google .... but Mac Mail App is not accepting the new password. I have tried changing it in my mail settings, but it just doesn't accept it.

Can someone shine a light on the stupid mistake I am obviously making? Pretty please with sugar plums?

I have been using the Mac Mail App for a long time, and the idea of having to use the Gmail directly makes my skin crawl. It's just so cluttered and unfriendly.

Thanks all

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Update keeps installing old softwar

Posted on May 30, 2013 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2013 11:30 AM

Hello, is it POP or IMAP?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, use Keychain First Aid under the Keychain Menu item, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

There'll be at least 2 for gmail.

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, or a server end problem.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Toyworks11

Hello, is it POP or IMAP?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, use Keychain First Aid under the Keychain Menu item, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

There'll be at least 2 for gmail.

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, or a server end problem.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

May 31, 2013 7:05 PM in response to Toyworks11

It's not you. You haven't made any mistakes. It is the built in mail program. It is, in my opinion, one of the worst email programs ever. Some have no trouble with mail app and others, many others, have all kinds of problems. Mainly it seems "Can't send" or "Can't receive" but there are a host of other problems post on these forums everyday.

All gamil accounts are imap. Even if you access them by the pop protocol. The built in mail app sets all gmail accounts up as imap anyway.

Jun 27, 2013 3:04 PM in response to Toyworks11

Here are the details to fix the dual password issue:

I also found that the problem with many gmail installations in Apple Mail (and other mail clients) is related to the aforementioned Google two step verification process. If you remember getting text codes on your mobile device(s) asking you to verify your email account, this is a possibility for you. You may have to log onto GMail from your browser, got to the "gear" icon->settings->Change account settings->Change password recovery options, then put in your password again at the resulting verification window, and turn off secondary verification via text in the ensuing windows. This prevents the mail client from failing to verify via a password you may not even have access to in order to go online. Once you have done this and saved it, you should be able to send and receive mail and no longer be prompted for your password unsuccessfully over and over. MAke sure, of course, that all your regular email settings are correct again (like FULL email address in user name fields), now that you may have changed lots of things in the vain attempt to overcome this rather obscure problem!

Steve Bilzi

Sr. Tech

Bilzi Mac Services

Wilmington, NC

Nov 13, 2013 8:49 PM in response to Toyworks11

Often when there are problems with Mail and passwords, it can be solved by zapping the PRAM:

Restart the computer and immediately hold down the option-command-p-r keys. Continue holding down the keys until you hear the chimes 3 times. It wouldn't hurt to do a permissions repair with DiscUtility, too.

That usually fixes the problem (as long as you are using the correct password).

Mac Mail App Not Accepting Gmail Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.