Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype & iChat freeze my screen...?

I have noticed that, after the new Skype update, if I've been using it to videochat for too long, it will start to freeze my screen and it will not stop unless I force quit it. NOW, before you tell me to go to the Skype forum, I restarted my computer, went to use iChat, and the same thing happened.

I decided then to come here to post a question before I dragged myself to the Genius Bar, but once I opened Chrome (what I used), the same thing started happening. I am now on Firefox, and everything is peachy. I am now trying to use iPhoto, and it's freaking out once again.

What could be causing this (it's never happened to me before), and should I just take it in?

My screen:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 31, 2013 1:38 AM

1 reply

Jun 2, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Mobscenechicka

Hi Mobscenechicka,

This sounds like it may be a hardware issue, but there are a couple of steps you can try before taking the Macbook Pro to the Genius bar:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Another troubleshooting step would be to reset the PRAM as well:

About NVRAM and PRAM

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

You can read more details by clicking on the two links above, but these would be two good troubleshooting steps to try.

I hope this information helps ....

Have a great day!

- Judy

Skype & iChat freeze my screen...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.