Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not backup the iPhone.... Why no solution yet?

Consistently getting error message : "iTunes could not backup the iPhone ___________ because an error occured," when I attempt to backup my iPhone 5 to my iTunes through the lightning usb cable. Yes my iPhone 5 is updated, my Macbook Pro is updated, my iTunes is updated. I have looked through these forums thoroughly and it seems there are a lot of iPhone consumers who are running into this issue and 99.9% of these people have not found a solution.

Does anyone have a solid solution & please do not reply with:

- "Restart your iPhone"

- "Use iCloud"

- "Click this TroubleShoot Link!"

- "Are your devices updated?"

**********This is definitely a serious issue and Apple is either ignoring or purposely malfunctioning an iTunes backup so people will buy iCloud space.*********

One would think that paying top dollar for devices would come with avoiding basic functions such as "Backing Up" your device. I also took it to the Apple "Geniuses" and they are completely useless, as usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), OS Lion, Brand New Macbook Pro 2011

Posted on May 30, 2013 10:25 PM

14 replies

Sep 26, 2013 10:08 AM in response to kevinn474

I had the phone backed up to a different User Account on the Mac and got this error message.

My solution was to go to that (different) account and backup then to

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

and make .zip (compressed) version of this new backup.

Drag that to the Public Folder dropbox of the User account that I wanted to backup to, click OK

Now, Log into that User account and drag the .zip backup to the path above location and double click to un-zip.

I also removed all prior files so the new backup was the only one there.

I plugged in the phone and the problem was gone. No error message and I was able to back up the phone to this User account.

Good luck.

iTunes could not backup the iPhone.... Why no solution yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.