Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Transfer Time Machine Backups?

Hello community!

I'm having trouble copying 1TB of Time Machine backups to a fresh 4TB drive.

The 1TB drive is formatted AMP, Mac OSX Extended (Journaled), 1 partition, and has 11GB free. It has 2 machines backed up on it. One is a pre-Intel Dual G5 PowerMac and the other is an i7 MacBook Pro with 2 profiles/accounts.

The 1TB backup drive is working perfect to date and I needed extra space to ensure my backs are safe. Plus I am adding a new machine to the backups.

The new 4TB drive is formatted with GUID, Mac OSX Extended (Journaled), 1 partition. I have ignored ownership permissions. When I drag the backup folder from the old drive to the new it asks me for a password. I enter it. It then begins "preparing to copy to <new 4TB drive>." After about 1.5hr and 2,200,000 items prepared, I get this prompt...

"You may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named "Backups.backup".

My options are Skip, Stop, or Continnue. I hit continue. It begins to copy the data.

Error 1 @ 750GB: "Blank" cannot be converted. Please install a newer version of iWork.

Error 2: The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

Error 3: The operation can't be completed becasue an unexpected error occured (error code -8062).

Error 4: The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

Error 5: The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

At this point it just hangs at 750GB of 915GB.

Both are external. Both attached using USB to the i7 MacBook Pro.

What's the hiccup? AMP vs GUID? Pre-Intel & Intel back ups? 2 Accounts on one machine? It seems to be a permissions issue, but not sure how to troubleshoot this without messing up my backups.

Posted on May 31, 2013 12:06 AM

16 replies

Jun 24, 2017 6:23 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc!

Would you update this answer for the Disk Utility in Sierra OS, please? No results when searching for 'Duplicate'. I need to expand the size of my Time Machine on a Drobo and my plan is to copy it over to another drive, do the expansion and copy it back. Unable to copy without getting permission error and unable to create disk image nor zip, either. I hate to start all over but I am running out of space and could use some advice.

Thank you!

Jun 24, 2017 6:48 PM in response to lisaroser

lisaroser wrote:

Hello Linc!

Would you update this answer for the Disk Utility in Sierra OS, please? No results when searching for 'Duplicate'. I need to expand the size of my Time Machine on a Drobo and my plan is to copy it over to another drive, do the expansion and copy it back. Unable to copy without getting permission error and unable to create disk image nor zip, either. I hate to start all over but I am running out of space and could use some advice.

Thank you!

Linc no longer participates in the forum discussions any longer

May 31, 2013 6:37 AM in response to J3 L U N T

Simple

select the externals

Secondary click

choose get Info

Add your current User account and give yourself priviledges to read and write. Place your name above the other user levels.

Then click the little gear and choose "Apply to Enclosed Items".

Job Done. Now you should have permissions to do the Transfer.

NOTE I would do this through disk utility to be honest. Using the restore tab.

Apr 17, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc. I am having the same problem. I don't understand from your short response what to do exactly. I am trying to transfer all the data from my WD 2T My Book to my new WD 4T My Book before using it as my Time Machine backup. I have an iMac from 2012 using the latest version of Yosemite. Can you please tell me step by step how you fixed this problem? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Simon Townley

Simon Townley wrote:

This doesn't seem to work if you want to transfer to a timecapsule, unfortunately. My timecapsule doesn't show up in disk utility, so can't 'drag it' to the destination field.

You'd think Apple might have thought of that...

They thought differently. They allow you to specify multiple Time Machine destinations, and alternate backing up to each.

Unable to Transfer Time Machine Backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.