Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7 replies

May 31, 2013 6:50 AM in response to sanjampet

If you are running Lion from the finder Go>go to folder, type or paste the following ~/Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes

Click thru the mail boxes and subsequent folders till you get to the messages folder (there can be multiple sub folders for each of the mailboxes) the message folder will will contain the .elmx look for the 627043.elmx.

It would be a little different for the older OS

Hope this helps

May 31, 2013 6:55 AM in response to sanjampet

Thanks, I really appreciate your trying to help. Thats what I was going to do but I have many different mail folders...each year I would start a new one so no one would get too big and then others for projects and it is just not a practical. This is what computers should be very good at doing, right - searching and sorting. I have a search engine ....why are these folders off limits to it? and how can I put them in reach of a search engine.

May 31, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Chris@PSU

First, note that you should not just go delete that file in the Finder, or allow your anti-virus software to do so. That will corrupt Mail's index for that mailbox, and could also result in re-downloading the message from the server, if it's still present on your e-mail account's mail server. If you have an infected attachment in an e-mail message, you need to delete that message within Mail. (Note that there is no danger in viewing that e-mail message in Mail, so long as you don't click on links it contains and don't try to open any attachments.)

If your anti-virus program won't tell you where that file is, you will find it somewhere inside the ~/Library/Mail/V2/ folder. (It may or may not be inside the Mailboxes folder found there.) Spotlight may not be able to find it, but you could search inside that folder using something like Find Any File. Once you find it, double-click the file to open the message in Mail (which is perfectly safe), then delete it from there.

Second, note that "Trojan.Gen.2" is a very generic malware definition, and not a Mac definition. It may very well represent a false positive (what anti-virus software are you using?), but if not, it's still not Mac malware. It is very common for Mac users to receive Windows malware attached to junk e-mail.

Searching for emlx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.