Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro, yes or no?

Introduction

Hello, I'm about to buy my first MacBook. I already have an iPhone, iPod and an iPad.

I have read some articles about the advantages and disadvantages of a MacBook.

I want to ask you some things about the MacBook Pro.

Current system / MacBook Pro

Acer Aspire 571-53216G50Makk Macbook Pro MD101N/A

Processor: Intel Core i5 3210M Intel Core i5 3210M

RAM memory: 6GB 4GB

Storage: 500GB HDD 500GB HDD

Videochip: Intel HD Graphics 4000 Intel HD Graphics 400

Screen: 15,6" 13,3"

Adding hardware

Someone told me that it is possible to add RAM memory, the motherboard has the ability of 8GB RAM max.

But I was told that it is hard to add hardware to Apple products, is that true? I also wanted to add another

drive, a 2,5" 500GB HDD or a 2,5" 128GB SSD, is this possible?

Question

My main question is: Is it possible to add another RAM memory of 4GB and is it possible to add another drive? (and do you recommend it?)

I know a MacBook is very fast already and in my opinion, 500GB is not a lot. So that would make the choice for another 500GB easy, but

on the other hand, I do use some Photoshop and other software like that, so a SSD drive would be an advantage in that case.

Disadvantage

The disadvantage, in my opinion, is the videochip because you can't upgrade it. I am looking for a new laptop and one of the important

points is that I want a better videochip than I have in my current laptop. This MacBook still have the same videochip. The videochip is very

standard and you can't really game with it. I know that I shouldn't expect a good videochip in this MacBook, but I'm still a little disappointed.

Operating System

I am currently using Windows 8 and I really like it. I do want to use Mac OS X 10.7, but I heard that is also possible to use Windows 8 on a

MacBook by using software called Parallels. Can you tell me a little more about it? Is it a very limited version of Windows 8? Are you able to switch

between Mac OS and Windows in seconds? It would be great if you could tell me a little more about it. (I also read something about BootCamp?)

Battery

Is it easy to replace the battery when the battery stops working as good as it did? The MacBook battery is able to recharge a 1,000 times, but

I still want to know this.

Software

A lot of software is designed for Windows OS and won't run on other OS, am I going to miss out on some software that Windows does support?

Extra

Are there things that I forgot to mention? Is there something that you would recommend?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on May 31, 2013 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 7:07 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

ardb wrote:

Adding hardware

Someone told me that it is possible to add RAM memory, the motherboard has the ability of 8GB RAM max.

But I was told that it is hard to add hardware to Apple products, is that true? I also wanted to add another

You can add RAM and modify the hard disk on a MacBook Pro easily without voiding the warranty. Also, the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro supports 16 GB of RAM. You can buy RAM at OWC or Crucial.

Respecting to the hard disk, you can add a second drive if you take out your SuperDrive. In this case, warranty might be voided, but you can add another hard disk.

ardb wrote:

Question

My main question is: Is it possible to add another RAM memory of 4GB and is it possible to add another drive? (and do you recommend it?)

I know a MacBook is very fast already and in my opinion, 500GB is not a lot. So that would make the choice for another 500GB easy, but

on the other hand, I do use some Photoshop and other software like that, so a SSD drive would be an advantage in that case.

As I told you, you can install 16 GB of RAM and you can install a second hard drive. A lot of users do it and it's recommended if you need it. If you are going to use the second hard disk to store data, it's better to get an external disk.

Respecting to Photoshop, you should know that the graphic that both computers have isn't compatible officially although you can use it. You just won't have good performance.

ardb wrote:

Disadvantage

The disadvantage, in my opinion, is the videochip because you can't upgrade it. I am looking for a new laptop and one of the important

points is that I want a better videochip than I have in my current laptop. This MacBook still have the same videochip. The videochip is very

standard and you can't really game with it. I know that I shouldn't expect a good videochip in this MacBook, but I'm still a little disappointed.

The problem with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is that it comes with the processor, so you can't replace it neither on this Acer nor on the MacBook.

If you want to play games, you will have to go for the 15-inch MacBook Pro, that includes a graphic card that will work properly with games and Photoshop.

ardb wrote:

Operating System

I am currently using Windows 8 and I really like it. I do want to use Mac OS X 10.7, but I heard that is also possible to use Windows 8 on a

MacBook by using software called Parallels. Can you tell me a little more about it? Is it a very limited version of Windows 8? Are you able to switch

between Mac OS and Windows in seconds? It would be great if you could tell me a little more about it. (I also read something about BootCamp?)

You can run Windows on a Mac in two ways:

1. With a virtual machine, using an application like Parallels, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox.

2. With Boot Camp, an application that allows you to install Windows on the hard disk, so it will have the best performance possible.

You can find the advantages and disadvantages in this site > https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3321

Note that you have to buy Windows 8 if you want to install it. Also, it must be a 64-bit version in order to use all the hardware.

ardb wrote:

Battery

Is it easy to replace the battery when the battery stops working as good as it did? The MacBook battery is able to recharge a 1,000 times, but

Apple doesn't allow you to change the battery yourself so you have to take it to an Apple Store or reseller. Also, if you want to do it yourself, it's difficult to find the battery for your model. A battery replacement, in the case of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, costs $129.

If you have any problem with the battery during the first year, it will be replaced for free.

ardb wrote:

Software

A lot of software is designed for Windows OS and won't run on other OS, am I going to miss out on some software that Windows does support?

There are a lot of applications that are only available in Windows. You will note it if you are a professional user, because a lot of applications aren't available for OS X and you will have to install Windows

<Edited by Host>

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 7:07 PM in response to ardb.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

ardb wrote:

Adding hardware

You can add RAM and modify the hard disk on a MacBook Pro easily without voiding the warranty. Also, the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro supports 16 GB of RAM. You can buy RAM at OWC or Crucial.

Respecting to the hard disk, you can add a second drive if you take out your SuperDrive. In this case, warranty might be voided, but you can add another hard disk.

ardb wrote:

Question

As I told you, you can install 16 GB of RAM and you can install a second hard drive. A lot of users do it and it's recommended if you need it. If you are going to use the second hard disk to store data, it's better to get an external disk.

Respecting to Photoshop, you should know that the graphic that both computers have isn't compatible officially although you can use it. You just won't have good performance.

ardb wrote:

Disadvantage

The problem with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is that it comes with the processor, so you can't replace it neither on this Acer nor on the MacBook.

If you want to play games, you will have to go for the 15-inch MacBook Pro, that includes a graphic card that will work properly with games and Photoshop.

ardb wrote:

Operating System

You can run Windows on a Mac in two ways:

1. With a virtual machine, using an application like Parallels, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox.

2. With Boot Camp, an application that allows you to install Windows on the hard disk, so it will have the best performance possible.

You can find the advantages and disadvantages in this site > https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3321

Note that you have to buy Windows 8 if you want to install it. Also, it must be a 64-bit version in order to use all the hardware.

ardb wrote:

Battery

Apple doesn't allow you to change the battery yourself so you have to take it to an Apple Store or reseller. Also, if you want to do it yourself, it's difficult to find the battery for your model. A battery replacement, in the case of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, costs $129.

If you have any problem with the battery during the first year, it will be replaced for free.

ardb wrote:

Software

There are a lot of applications that are only available in Windows. You will note it if you are a professional user, because a lot of applications aren't available for OS X and you will have to install Windows

<Edited by Host>

May 31, 2013 6:01 AM in response to mende1

Hello mende1, thanks for your reply!

I think 8GB of RAM memory will do the job for me. Can I do it myself or do I have to bring the MacBook to Apple?

Oh so if I want another harddrive, I have to remove the optical drive? The motherboard supports another HDD, but

there will only be room if the optical drive will be removed, is that what you mean? (Apple calls the optical drive, for a CD or DVD, the SuperDrive, don't they?)

So you would recommend a SSD drive to make the MacBook faster and an external HDD to storage documents?

Yup, I know the videochip is motherboard integrated so it is very basic, it is indeed not replaceable (just like in my current system). When using Photoshop, it's not really about the graphics card, more about the processor's strength, but I agree that the videochip doesn't support proper games (graphic-wise).

Yes, the disadvantage of BootCamp is that is has to reboot, but the performances are better. I indeed have to buy the 64-bit, the 32-bits will run, but very slowly, and that's a waste.

The battery-replacement is a disadvantage, but you know it when you buy an Apple product.

Do you know some big brands or software that a lot of people use that is only available on Windows?

May 31, 2013 6:05 AM in response to ardb.

You can install RAM yourself. Read > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

If you want another hard disk, you have to remove the SuperDrive (the disc drive).

The SSD makes the MacBook much faster in read and write processes, so it's recommended. If you want, you can install one in the place of the SuperDrive.

Now, a lot of developers are making applications for OS X, so the problem isn't so big, but the big problem comes when you have a look at professional apps. For example, near all AutoDesk applications, except AutoCAD and a few more apps, aren't available for OS X

May 31, 2013 6:20 AM in response to mende1

The site won't load because it is too busy, but I'll check that out later.

If I remove the disk drive, I am able to put a 2,5" HDD or a 2,5" SSD in it?

Example 1

So I would in fact be able to remove the SuperDrive and add a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 2,5" SATA-600 HDD to the MacBook and then I would have 500GB + 1TB?

Example 2

So I would in fact be able to remove the SuperDrive and add a Corsair Neutron GTX 128GB SATA-600 SSD to the MacBook and then I would have 500GB HDD + 128GB SSD?

Example 3

Would I also be able to remove the original 500GB hard drive, replace it with a 1TB HDD and remove the SuperDrive and add a 128GB SSD? I would have 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD

Example 4

And I would also be able to add 4GB of RAM memory without removing anything? Do I have to buy a 8GB RAM memory or is there space for 2 seperate RAM memories (4+4)?

It is good to hear that they are making more software for Mac OS. I don't use those Business Clients on my personal laptop so that's not a disadvantage for me.

May 31, 2013 6:27 AM in response to ardb.

There are some peripherals, like external mouses or keyboards with a Bluetooth receiver, that will need additional drivers. Also, if you want to install Windows, Boot Camp Assistant will ask you to download the Windows support software, that contains all the drivers that Windows needs in order to detect the hardware

May 31, 2013 6:31 AM in response to ardb.

It depends. If you run it with 4 GB of RAM and the old computer has got 6 GB of RAM, you may experience a better performance on your old computer, but note the screen resolution. The old computer has got a 15-inch display that uses a higher resolution than the 13-inch MacBook Pro, so respecting to graphic performance, you should see better performance

MacBook Pro, yes or no?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.