Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spam mails from Ashley - what can i do?

Since one or two weeks i get mails from strange @gmail adresses from a person named Ashley. They all have something to do with jobs/career etc. I think they are spam mails. All of them had something like a photo or a txt but I didn't open them. Does anyone now how to stop this?

Greets J

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 31, 2013 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2013 6:42 AM

There's nothing you can do to stop spam. It's simply a part of life that comes along with having an e-mail address.

What you can do is manage it, which will help minimize the spam that you actually have to look at. If you're not already using Mail's spam filtering feature, turn it on now (in the Junk Mail pane of Mail's preferences). It will take some time to get it trained, but once it learns what is spam and what isn't, it will eliminate a lot.

If you're already using the spam filter, the spammer has obviously got a new trick that's getting past the filter. Just keep marking those messages as spam (Message -> Mark -> As Junk Mail) and eventually it will learn to recognize them.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2013 6:42 AM in response to janchristoff

There's nothing you can do to stop spam. It's simply a part of life that comes along with having an e-mail address.

What you can do is manage it, which will help minimize the spam that you actually have to look at. If you're not already using Mail's spam filtering feature, turn it on now (in the Junk Mail pane of Mail's preferences). It will take some time to get it trained, but once it learns what is spam and what isn't, it will eliminate a lot.

If you're already using the spam filter, the spammer has obviously got a new trick that's getting past the filter. Just keep marking those messages as spam (Message -> Mark -> As Junk Mail) and eventually it will learn to recognize them.

May 31, 2013 7:25 AM in response to janchristoff

Have you done anything with the social network for professionals, such as LinkedIn. If you have that can make your email address available to this kind of abuse.

I know a friend asked me to join LinkedIn and I did. That is until I discovered how much junk mail I was going to get. I then backed out of that deal as quickly as I could but I am still getting the occasional junk mail for either jobs or dating services.

Allan

May 31, 2013 7:56 AM in response to janchristoff

If the first part of the incoming emails is always the same, you could create a Rule in Mail Preferences, so that every incoming email with that first part is immediately deleted.

That's what I do and it works fine. I sometimes see the Mail progress bar telling me about incoming Mail, but I never see it- it just goes directly to Oblivion.

Obviously all other emails with the same "@whatever" suffix keep coming. I don't lose them.

Spam mails from Ashley - what can i do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.