Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external CD drive for iMac G3, OS9.2

Can I use an external drive to re-install system software? Will a Que! Fire drive function with my machine?

iMac G3, with OS 9.2. I'm trying to revive my audio driver and I think the only way is to re-install some software. My internal CD drive has died. Afterwards, I'd like to do a clean install (I need this old OS for music sequencing and notation programs, which I don't want to give up). Possible? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on May 31, 2013 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2013 10:10 AM

Looks like you've already figured out that you need a FireWire drive to boot a PowerPC Mac from a system disk. First, not all iMac G3 models have FireWire ports. Be sure yours does before buying a FireWire external drive.

However, not all external FireWire optical drives are Mac-bootable. The difference is in the chipset used in the enclosure. That's not easy to find, so the best route is to contact the maker of the drive you plan to purchase and ask them if they guarantee it's Mac bootable.

Do you own or have access to another Mac? If both your G3 and the other Mac have FW ports, you can use FireWire Target Disk Mode to have your iMAc see the optical drive in the other Mac as a bootable external drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2013 10:10 AM in response to hcruzfrompr

Looks like you've already figured out that you need a FireWire drive to boot a PowerPC Mac from a system disk. First, not all iMac G3 models have FireWire ports. Be sure yours does before buying a FireWire external drive.

However, not all external FireWire optical drives are Mac-bootable. The difference is in the chipset used in the enclosure. That's not easy to find, so the best route is to contact the maker of the drive you plan to purchase and ask them if they guarantee it's Mac bootable.

Do you own or have access to another Mac? If both your G3 and the other Mac have FW ports, you can use FireWire Target Disk Mode to have your iMAc see the optical drive in the other Mac as a bootable external drive.

external CD drive for iMac G3, OS9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.