Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have clips from a Sony PMW-160 XDCAM HD422. It does not appear to be on the list of approved cameras. Will I not be able to see those clips? I imported but all I see is green screen for the duration of each clip.

I use Final Cut Pro X at home and the company I work for has given me clips from a Sony PMW-160 XDCAM HD422 camcorder. The clips imported as green screens for the entire duration of the clip. So I need transcoding software or a plug-in for Sony XDCAM HD cameras. I will start searching the Sony sight as the suggestion of FCP X support. Then will look for third party software to do it. I do not find the camera on the list of supported cameras. Any ideas?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 31, 2013 12:44 PM

8 replies

Jun 2, 2013 6:53 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Spent an hour with Apple's Final Cut Pro team for $100. Apparently I can't ingest clips into FCP X because the camera itself needs to be plugged into the computer. The company I work for owns the camera and they gave me clips on my portable drive. I did download the plug-in both of you suggested but it is only for transfer from the camera. The Apple folks had me download and install Sony's XDCAM Transfer program, and we were able, on the phone and through a shared screen session, to pick out the MPEG4 file from one of the clip folders and convert it to a .mov file that I could read. I won't have time to pick MPEG4 files out of each clip folder. The Apple technician and I both concluded that since Adobe Premiere just ingests all the clips without a problem and lets me get to work, Adobe Premiere Pro is the best solution when I don't have access to the $7,000 camera. So I joined the Cloud, downloaded Premiere Pro, and it works intuitively.

Aug 5, 2013 7:38 PM in response to altonfromfrederick

This is really sickening. I've been editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and decided to switch from a PC to a Mac. All my Mac friends spent years saying how Macs just work. Well, that isn't the case with Final Cut Pro X and XDcam files. I have a couple terabites of video already transferred to hard drives. The Sony import tool does me no good. When I called Apple support, they told me to talk to Sony since it's their plug-in that "is to blame." Meanwhile Adobe Premiere Pro plays the XDCam footage with no problem. So does the VLC player, unlike Quicktime. So if Quicktime and VLC can handle the files, I say it falls on Apple to find a solution or stop saying the program supports XDcam when it truly doesn't.

Maybe Apple could make a call to Adobe and VLC and ask them why their programs "just work?"

Dec 16, 2013 9:38 AM in response to altonfromfrederick

I have the same problem with a 25k$ XDCAM recorder. There's no way to make it working with FCPX. I tried everything, also the Sony's plugin for FCPX doesn't work with the recorder I have (it's written in the manual). I tryed to download the .mxf files on the HD and then import, but nothing.

Maybe it's sony's fault. But premiere does the job without batting an eyelid.

I have the same problem with AVCHD, usually people gives me footage in .mts files that FCPX is not able to open. And again... Premiere does the job without batting an eyelid.

I'd love to work in FCPX but I can't. I'd like also to suggest to the company I work for to invest in apple systems for editing, but it would be crazy since it doesn't work with the M$ of SONY equipment that the company has.

I have clips from a Sony PMW-160 XDCAM HD422. It does not appear to be on the list of approved cameras. Will I not be able to see those clips? I imported but all I see is green screen for the duration of each clip.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.