Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Despite what this article states, Apple support told me not to try to remove any fonts as it could cause other possibly serious problems. Is there a program which can be safely installed which will keep at the top of the font list those fonts which use?

An article in the New York Times yesterday told how to remove unwanted fonts from the Font Book. I followed its instructions (the same as those on the webpage "support.apple.com/kb/ht2509") and was NOT successful in removing fonts. Despite what the newspaper article and the web page stated, my attempts to remove fonts were unsuccessful. I use perhaps 15-20 of the hundreds and hundreds of fonts, and deleting those I don't use would make choosing a font a lot faster. I called support and was told not to try to remove any fonts which I myself had not added to the list(I have not added any) as doing so could cause significant problems elsewhere. The support tech suggested that there might be independent software programs which would keep at the top of the list those fonts I have used, which sure would speed up the process of selecting a font. Anyone know of such a program, or how to safely alter the font list Thanks.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on May 31, 2013 1:33 PM

1 reply

May 31, 2013 1:46 PM in response to ownamac

Font Book will not let you remove any fonts from the System folder. It will let you select them and choose Delete, but nothing will happen. Can't recall offhand if it does the same thing to the Library's Fonts folder. I don't use Font Bork.

There are many fonts supplied with OS X which do not need to be active all the time. See my article, Font Management in OS X.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Despite what this article states, Apple support told me not to try to remove any fonts as it could cause other possibly serious problems. Is there a program which can be safely installed which will keep at the top of the font list those fonts which use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.