Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Up or Installing Korean Language Input

greetings_

I am just starting to think about learning Korean, and have unsuccessfully tried to set up Hangul in my Input Mode settings. My install was in English, and I don't honestly remember if I deselected Asian language support during install.

Symptoms:
Under International:Input Menu, Hangul is listed, but under Input Type, "Input Method" is all that is listed. (The same is true for Kotoeri, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese, but the Japanese Kana Palette is available.)
Under International:Input Menu, when I select Hangul and then close the International pane, then click the flag, Hangul is not listed. Reopening International pane shows Hangul unchecked.
When I select Korean in the Character Palette, Hangul is listed but no characters are shown in "by Category" view. There are rows of empty boxes, which can be selected but no information is shown under Character Infor or Font Variation.

Steps Taken:
I searched the Discussions, and the closest thing I found was installing additional fonts. I inserted the OSX install DVD, and tried searching in the Finder for "AdditionalFonts.pkg" but that failed. Finder did turn up "AdditionalAsianFonts.pkg"--its listed Parent was "Receipts"--but attempts to open the file were met with the following: the Additional Asian Fonts Installer opened to the Introduction, and the error msg "The Installer Package 'AdditionalAsianFonts' could not be opened. The selected package is a receipt."

Questions:
Does the fact that the package is listed as a reciept mean that the Additional Asian Fonts have, in fact, already been installed?
How can I tell if/what Asian Language support I do have installed?
What else might I need in order to select Hangul in Input Mode?
Is there a Hangul palette available, and how/where might I get it?

Thanks in advance.

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.3.9)

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jun 2, 2006 11:34 PM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2006 3:50 AM in response to destijl78

Symptoms:
Under International:Input Menu, Hangul is listed, but
under Input Type, "Input Method" is all that is
listed. (The same is true for Kotoeri, Simplified
Chinese and Traditional Chinese, but the Japanese
Kana Palette is available.)

This is all as it should be.

Under International:Input Menu, when I select Hangul
and then close the International pane, then click the
flag, Hangul is not listed. Reopening International
pane shows Hangul unchecked.

Something wrong there.

Go to System Prefs/International/Languages and make sure Korean is on the list. If not, use the Edit button to add it.

When I select Korean in the Character Palette, Hangul
is listed but no characters are shown in "by
Category" view. There are rows of empty boxes, which
can be selected but no information is shown under
Character Infor or Font Variation.

Sounds like you might be missing the fonts. Here is a list of what is normally installed, which includes Korean.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25710

Look and see if you are missing all the Korean fonts. If so you need to install them from your install disks. If not, something else is wrong.

Is there a Hangul palette available, and how/where
might I get it?

A Hangul palette is available once you are able to get the Hangul IM to appear in the flag menu.

Jun 5, 2006 6:36 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi tom_

Thanks for your post.

When I originally looked in the International:Language:Edit list, I just checked all three Asian character sets that were shown (this was before I recognized any of them) and looked for 'Korean,' which was not listed. As it turns out, none of the three Asian character sets shown were actually Korean. So I could not check it to include it in my Language list.

However, I went ahead and made sure I had all the Korean fonts installed--they were disabled in Font Book. I enabled them, and tried the Input Menu again...still unchecking Hangul when I closed the pane.

So I restarted the machine. And now it's all there. Hangul is listed in the Languages:Edit list, so I checked it, but only after the Input Menu listed Hangul and worked properly. So perhaps the Input Menu is separate from the Languages list.

Anyway, problem solved, thank you very much.

Setting Up or Installing Korean Language Input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.