Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prepare my iMac for sale? And best practice for transferring media to a new system.

This is my first time posting in a forum, so I will apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong. I've tried to search for a very clear answer to my questions in the existing discussions, but have not had much luck.

I ordered a Macbook Pro today and would like to sell my current iMac to supplement some of the cost. I purchased my iMac in March of 2011 with OS X Snow Leopard preinstalled. I've since updated to Mountain Lion. When my computer came in it did not have OS DVDs, so I am not sure exactly how to take it back to factory default and remove ALL of my information safely in order to prepare it for sale. I'm afraid to tell it to format if I am going to need a boot disc/drive to reinstall the OS. I've been trying to research all day and have learned that I will not be able to sell it with the current OS, only the one that came with the computer at the time of purchase (to the best of my understanding).

Secondary to all of this, I have a question about backing up info and porting it to my new system. I have run the Time Machine backup to my external hard drive. However, I DO NOT want to port it to my new MBP as an image of my past machine. I did that when I got my iMac from my old MBP and my iMac thinks it is a MBP (MBP EFI/SMC Firmware Update Icons in my system utilities folder as well as identified as a Macbook Pro on my network). I've never been able to get all of these things to go away and I feel like it's chewing up hard drive space for no purpose whatsoever. I also worry that it could create system issues that I'm just not savy enough to catch before they are beyond control. That being said, I'd like to begin fresh with my new MBP. What is the best method of bringing my photos from iPhoto and music/movies/books/etc from iTunes to my new system? My word documents are easy enough...I keep 3 flash drives updated with them at all times.

Thanks in advance!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 31, 2013 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2013 5:55 PM

How to prepare your Mac for sale

User uploaded file

17 replies

May 31, 2013 7:18 PM in response to Kamikaze Tiki

Whoever said you can't sell you iMac with the current Mac OS X is wrong, I believe.

You can simply go to your App Store and download the Mountain Lion again if you bought it, if you haven't, you can easily find it for free. After you have finished downloading the Mountain Lion, create a Bootable USB, here is all the steps for it: (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/mac/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-to-install-os- x/2699). t

After you done all that, restart your iMac and when it comes back on keep the alt/option key pressed. It will allow you to choose whether you want to boot on your HD, which would load your current OS, or boot on the USB, which will show the options of Mountain Lion installation – formation, restauration, etc. You will be looking for formatation, probably, will apper as "Reinstall Mac OS X and erase all files" or something like that. After a while, the formatation will be completed and will ask you to put your iCloud account, etc., but you can skip tha

For erasing all your files safely, that is it. However, if you don't wish anyone restoring your HD files (yes, even after you've done all that there is still a possibility), you can Download CCleaner and 'delete the clean space on your HD'. Which, will write files multiple times on the free space and then delete them, avoiding any commum softwares from recovering your old files.

As you wish to begin fresh on your new MBP, you don't really need to bother with softwares for backing media files. For instance, for the iPhoto, go to Finder > Pictures > find the iPhoto Library and copy it. Same with iTunes: Finder > Music > iTunes folder and then Copy it. In the new MBP just drag these files to where they belong and choose to replace the files already on the MBP.

I hope this helps.

Just an observation, all this process shouldn't take more than three hours.

May 31, 2013 7:50 PM in response to Lucas Diniz

Whoever said you can't sell you iMac with the current Mac OS X is wrong, I believe.

Unfortunately, it is not wrong.

Any OS purchased/obtained at the app store - as is the case here - is not transferable. The license is tied forever to the Apple ID used to obtain it. The SLA states that the seller needs to erase the drive and reinstall the original system.

@ Kamikazwe:

You can call Apple and give them your serial number and they will send you copies of your original disks at a nominal charge.

You do need to use your original Snow Leopard disk, boot from it, erase the drive, and reinstall Snow Leopard. The buyer of the machine will need to purchase his/her own copy of Lion or Mountain Lion with their own Apple ID or they will never be able to reinstall or update the OS.

SLA Excerpt:

3. Transfer.

A. If you obtained the Apple Software preinstalled on Apple-branded hardware, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software (in its original form as provided by Apple) to another party, provided that: the Apple Software is transferred

together with your Apple-branded hardware; (ii) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, printed materials and this License; (iii) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or

other storage device; and (iv) the party receiving the Apple Software accepts the terms andcconditions of this License. For purposes of this License, if Apple provides an update (e.g., version 10.8 to 10.8.1) to the Apple Software, the update is considered part of the Apple

Software and may not be transferred separately from the pre-update version of the Apple Software.

B. If you obtained your license to the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, it is not transferable. If you sell your Apple-branded hardware to a third party, you must remove the Apple Software from the Apple-branded hardware before doing so, and you may restore your system to the version of the Apple operating system software that originally came with your Apple hardware (the “Original Apple OS”) and permanently transfer the Original Apple OS together with your Apple hardware, provided that: the transfer must include all of the Original

Apple OS, including all its component parts, printed materials and its license; (ii) you do not retain any copies of the Original Apple OS, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (iii) the party receiving the Original Apple OS reads and agrees to

accept the terms and conditions of the Original Apple OS license.

May 31, 2013 9:30 PM in response to Lucas Diniz

I do not see problems if he sells his iMac with a OS with a license tied to his Apple ID seeing as his data would be all gone.

Various scenarios have been tested: you cannot reinstall the OS unless you are using the Apple ID that was used to obtain it. Additionally, there is the fact that you would be violating the terms of the SLA and we would violate the ToU of the forums discussing anything of the sort.

Jun 1, 2013 9:40 AM in response to babowa

So, I need to contact Apple to get install discs from them otherwise whoever buys my iMac can never update it? If that is correct it seems really crazy. I honestly thought there was a way to reformat it back to factory defaults and still maintain the iLife suite (this is iTunes, iPhoto, and Garage Band, correct?) then repackage it. It seems wrong that my Apple ID is tied to it from that point. When I took it out of the box the very first time none of my information was preloaded.

Jun 1, 2013 9:48 AM in response to Kamikaze Tiki

Kamikaze Tiki wrote:

So, I need to contact Apple to get install discs from them otherwise whoever buys my iMac can never update it? If that is correct it seems really crazy. I honestly thought there was a way to reformat it back to factory defaults and still maintain the iLife suite (this is iTunes, iPhoto, and Garage Band, correct?) then repackage it. It seems wrong that my Apple ID is tied to it from that point. When I took it out of the box the very first time none of my information was preloaded.

Whoever purchases your iMac w/o the system DVDs that originally came w/the computer will have a glorified door stop. All of the troubleshooting tools are on the DVDs as well as the (bundled) pre-installed Apple software.

Macs that originally came w/system DVDs are not to be sold w/o them unless you are selling the Mac for parts only.

You can get replacement System Install & Restore CD/DVDs from Apple's Customer Support - in the US, (800) 767-2775 - for a nominal S&H fee. You'll need to have the model and/or serial number of your Mac available.

If you're not in the US, you may need to go through the regional Apple Store that serves your location to find the contact number. Here's a list of links to all of those - http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/intlstoreroutingpage.html Another resource: International Support Phone #s.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2013 9:59 AM in response to Kamikaze Tiki

I purchased my iMac in March of 2011 with OS X Snow Leopard preinstalled.

All Macs sold w/SL preinstalled also came w/system DVDs (2) plus one Developer DVD.

Where did you purchase your iMac from? It's possible you accidentally threw them away as you never took them out the box your iMac came in.

Either way, you need to get them prior to the sell or sell your comp for parts only which will lower the price.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Kamikaze Tiki

So, I need to contact Apple to get install discs from them otherwise whoever buys my iMac can never update it?

Sorry I'm a bit late to get back here....

When Apple changed the delivery format for the OS as well as apps, it also changed the license requirements.

If your Mac was pre-Lion or Mountain Lion, it came (or should have come) with install disks. Apple will replace those for you if they got lost or whatever. Any OS or app obtained at the app store is NOT transferable - the prices were lowered and the terms are now that anyone buying a used Mac has to buy the OS and any apps under their own Apple ID again.

If you do not reinstall the original system (Snow Leopard) using the install disks (boot from the install disk, wipe your entire drive, reinstall the original OS) and sell it with the current OS, the buyer will, in fact, be running a pirated copy of the OS. As it is tied to the purchaser, the buyer will never be able to reinstall if there is a problem because he would need to authenticate the reinstall with an Apple ID. Of course that is not possible as his ID is not the same as yours, so you would not be doing any buyer a favor.

Any Mac sold now with an OS that was not preinstalled needs to be reverted to the original system; another way to put it is: you are no longer "purchasing" the license, you are "renting" it for your own use - and it is only good for one use.

Jun 1, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I say that my system was shipped with Snow Leopard, but I may be incorrect. I got it in March of 2010. I had ordered a refurbished model, but it was stolen at the time of delivery and Apple replaced it with a new one instead (but with the same configuration as the refurbished one). I honestly do not remember ever seeing install DVDs when I opened the box. In fact, I'm relatively certain that I was shocked that they were not present. I could very well be wrong, but I will check to make certain. I have the original packaging at home and will check when I get home this evening.

Thanks to everyone for the replies up to this point. The new MBP won't be in for a few days, so I still have a little time to figure out exactly how to do all of this.

Jun 3, 2013 1:08 PM in response to Kamikaze Tiki

Glad you found them! Insert and hit the C key while restarting and you should be booting from the install DVD. Use its Disk Utility to wipe the drive - as you are selling it, I'd choose the 3 x pass (writing zero's three times) which means no one will be able to recover any data from your disk. That will take a while; after that, reinstall.

Inform buyer that you are not allowed to sell it with Lion or Mountain Lion, but are asking less for it to offset his/her $20 purchase of Lion/Mountain Lion.

How do I prepare my iMac for sale? And best practice for transferring media to a new system.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.