Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is OS X v10.7.5 Lion no longer supporting Firewire based, mini DV camcorders? Please help!

I have a Canon XH A1s camcorder. It's prosumer Firewire based, mini DV. I'm on OS X lion 10.7. Everything worked perfectly in both i-Movie and FCP X all the way up to v10.7.4. Once I accepted the update to OS X Lion 10.7.5, my Mac no longer recognizes my camera. Nor does it recognize another Canon HV20 that I just picked up as a tape deck. And, my neighbor has a Panasonic mini DV camcorder that's in mint condition. He says it's about 5 years old. That also is not recognized by his Macbook Pro with latest operating system. I have a hard time thinking that ALL three cameras have FW port issues, or cable problems.

The Canon HV20 is recognized by a friend's old, old i-Mac G5, so at least that one has no Firewire port issue.

I tested the Firewire port on my Mac with a FW external drive and it works fine. I've had my Canon XH A1s inspected by a pro repair shop and they said everything is PHYSICALLY in working condition based on their examination. They think it could be a compatibility issue with Apple's updated systems.

I tried re-installing OS X 10.7 Lion to try to get back to 10.7.4 or earlier, but since it's a download from Apple, it installed the most recent version - 10.7.5, and I'm back where I started.

I can't believe that Apple would just cut people off using just a few years older devcies in the middle of a system's update.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to upload tapes to Lion's new, updated system?

Thanks,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Camcorder and OS X compatibility

Posted on May 31, 2013 6:28 PM

15 replies

May 31, 2013 8:19 PM in response to videoprojectsf

Not sure if I can help, but...... are you trying to import into iMovie directly? And, have you checked the list here:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

As for downgrading, the problem with the digital delivery is that only the latest version is available. If all else fails, you could try internet recovery (hold the Command + Option + R keys at boot up or restart) - that is supposed to reinstall the original system (if Lion is what your machine came with). That has been tried with varying results (sometimes it will install the latest version). You would have to wipe the drive first though. Not an attractive work around, especially if the effort turns out to be for naught.

May 31, 2013 9:07 PM in response to babowa

I connect the camcorder directly to the computer via firewire, then import straight from either i-movie, or Final Cut Pro X. Ever since i got FCP X, I've been using FCP X exclusively. Neither one will see the camera. I checked the list but the thing is, FCP X and i-movie used to see the camera in 10.7.4, and after getting updated to 10.7.5 it no longer does. I tried rebooting with Command/Option and 'P' and 'R' keys. It keeps installing the newest version.

If no-one can help, I have to say WATCH OUT! If you have a miniDV camcorder and using OS X Lion, DO NOT get the update to 10.7.5. If you're on 10.7.4, stay on that. Look what I found about how upgrading to 10.7.5 effected Canon DSLRs users.

https://captureintegration.com/canon-tethering-support-os-x-10-8-10-7-5/

Something similar has happened to miniDv camcorder users, but there doesn't appear to be any fix for it.

May 31, 2013 9:20 PM in response to videoprojectsf

Very interesting despite the fact that it's not good news. In any case, if no one comes up with an idea, what OS did your machine come with originally? (in case you want to try the internet recovery).

Or, do you have a backup of your older system? Either Time Machine or a bootable clone? If not, you might want to seriously consider doing that before doing any update. That would be a reasonably easy way to revert.

May 31, 2013 10:01 PM in response to babowa

It came with OS X Lion. I got the mac in late 2011 and I think it was 10.7.1, but I'm not sure. I know I've done several system updates and none of them made my camcorder incompatible. So I thought this latest one would be okay as a force of habit. It worked all the way up to 10.7.4.

But as this link agrees, other Canon cameras have been affected by the 10.7.5 and 10.8 upgrades.

http://www.digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/1075

I tried internet reinstallation and it just automatically installed the most up to date version. I don't have a Time Machine backup. This feels like getting hit in the back of the head while I wasn't looking... like a cheap shot.

May 31, 2013 10:22 PM in response to videoprojectsf

Okay, if it came with Lion, then it will restore to the latest version of Lion (unfortunately in this case). The scenario has been tested - although it is supposed to restore to the original version, most of the time, it restored to the latest version. That is if you are using internet recovery which is Command + Option + R keys whereas Command + R is the regular recovery which will always restore to the current version.

I've learned that this new digital only delivery method is not the ideal way, so I faithfully make backups before updating anything. I also maintain a bootable clone copy of the original system.

I guess I'm fortunate as my Canons use SDHC cards, so I can plug in the card and get the content.

Jun 1, 2013 5:33 AM in response to babowa

Thanks. The conclusion is to always make backups before updating anything, and maintain a bootable clone copy of the original system in case Apple makes a mistake. And while I'm not directing my anger at you, because you are only trying to help, Apple should NOT expect its customers to have to learn like this the hard way.

I have people who are waiting to hear from me about video work they want to do, and others are waiting for edits of tapes already recorded. I knew that in about a year I'd have to upgrade to a tapless camcorer system. But Apple's update has rendered me NOW the same as having no camera at all.

Jun 1, 2013 11:39 AM in response to videoprojectsf

9 times out of 10 it is a bad Firewire Cable. You need a 9 pin to 4 pin cable (assuming your Mac has Firewire 800).

Other things to check.

Make sure your camera is plugged in to AC power (not batteries only).

Set camera to play.

If iMovie does not recognize it automatically, try FILE/IMPORT FROM CAMERA.

Check /About This Mac/More Info/System Report/Firewire to see if OSX is seeing your camera.

I am on Mountain Lion now, but when I had Lion, DV cameras worked in both FCPX and iMovie.

If all else fails, reinstall Lion and upgrade to the current version.

Jun 1, 2013 6:27 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi Appleman, thanks for your reply.

I have a 4 to 9 pin cable... brand new Rocketfish from Best Buy. I don't know about this brand of Cable but it's what I'm trying with the Canon HV20.

With the Canon XH A1s, I've been using a Belkin 6 pin to 9 pin cable that's been working great until I updated from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5. As soon as I updated, the camera stopped connecting to the computer. The cable was the first thing I tried to replace, so I got a Gigaware cable from Radio Shack but still no fix.

For both cameras, I've only been using AC power plugged into a wall socket. The Canon HV20 is set to PLAY HDV, and the Canon XH A1s is set to VCR PLAY, which is the correct setting. I've tried FILE/IMPORT and the IMPORT button in both i-Movie'11 and FCP X, and neither recognizes either camera.

The Systems Report/Firewire always reads in red letters - "Warning. Unable to List Firewire Device".

An important question is was your DV camera a tape camcorder? It's important because this is an update problem that seems to be consistent with Firewire MiniDV camcorders, but not necessarily tapeless DV cams with other means of uploading. It's not that i-Movie or FCP X won't recognize the firewire device. It's the updated OS X itself seems to be the issue.

Tapeless camcorders will most likely work with OS X Lion 10.7.5 and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but miniDV firewire camcorders may no longer work. Mine doesn't. And apparently, this is happening to other people.

I know I have to go tapeless eventually, but the Canon XH A1s is an excellent camera and I figured I'd use it for another year or so before doing so. It worked fine on OS X 10.7.4 (just a week ago) but not after the update was installed. Now, I'm stuck with no camera, and I've got gigs scheduled.

Jun 2, 2013 4:36 AM in response to videoprojectsf

I may have missed this in the thread, but what version of iMovie are you using?

iMovie '11 was recently updated (14 May 2013) to version 9.0.9 - one of the "What's New" items was "Addresses issues where iMovie does not recognize video cameras connected to your Mac".

Also, there have been numerous reports from time to time here about problems with Rocketfish FireWire cables. Here's a link to one such thread (where I've provided two other links):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3462687?answerId=22141780022#22141780022

John

Jun 2, 2013 7:05 AM in response to John Cogdell

I just updated to i-Movie '11 9.0.9. Still does not recognize. After reading up more about Rocketfish cables, I'm wondering if it is in fact the firewire cable after all, like you and Appleman1958 above are saying.

A few days ago I was at the Genius Bar at the Apple store, and asked if we should, and could try a different cable. (I brought in my Canon HV20 and tried it on two of their Macbooks with no success).

She was about to let me try a new cable, but then said she didn't have a 4 pin to 9 pin cable handy at the counter. She said it most likely wouldn't do anything differently, since the cable I was using was already brand new. At the time, we did know it was Rocketfish. So we nodded and shrugged and proceeded from there. I also asked a senior supervisor at Applecare over the phone, and he said that changing a new cable shouldn't make a difference, so we kept trying other methods.

But after reading more about Rocketfish, I'm going to try a Belkin and report back to this forum.

I'll let you know. I've got some videotaping to do today and will pick one up on the way home.

Jun 3, 2013 5:17 PM in response to John Cogdell

Problem Solved!

After a long comedy of errors, the Rocketfish firewire 4 pin to 9 pin, which was brand new ($40 from Best Buy) was defective. Apple Store no longer carries 4 pin to 9 pin firewires, but stocks a Belkin 9 pin to 9 pin firewire that comes with a 4 pin to 9 pin adapter for $40. This would've been for the Canon HV20, and would probably work.

I went to Central Computers, a pro computer store in SF, and picked up a generic 4 pin to 9 pin cable for $16 (just a few dollars more than ordering brandnames online, and I get the cable immeditately.)

It works! Now I know I can order extra Belkin or other brand name cables online, or if I need it immediately, I can get generic ones here in SF.

I'm going to go back and pick up a 6 pin to 9 pin firewire cable for the Canon XH A1s. If it still does not work, then I'll guess that that camera may have a blown firewire port (costly repair). Now I have the Canon HV20 as a usable tape deck for uploading and rewinding.

To John Cogdell and AppleMan1958, thanks! It was the Rocketfish cable afterall!

And thanks to everyone for helping out!

Jun 4, 2013 3:36 AM in response to videoprojectsf

Glad to hear that you've got at least one camera working with iMovie. Thanks for letting us know! It's often the simple things that are at the root of problems, and sometimes coincidental events can throw us off the track (such as updates to software).

Hope you get the other camera sorted out. I have a Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-pin to 4-pin cable that works perfectly with my ancient Sony DCR-TRV20E, MacBook Pro (early 2009) and iMovie '11 (v 9.0.9) on Mountain Lion (10.8.3). It cost me about $35 here in Australia. I purchased it at a local electronics store, not online.

John

Is OS X v10.7.5 Lion no longer supporting Firewire based, mini DV camcorders? Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.