Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not been able to access the Internet (3G) for a week: “Could not activate cellular data network”

Issue:

Not been able to access the Internet (3G) for a week:

“Could not activate cellular data network”

Background:

I have an iphone 5 – purchased out right in October 2013, current operating system ios 6.4.1

I have a pay as go Flexi plan on Vaya (Carrier Optus) that requires an APN and password.

What I have done so far:

One: Contacted phone carrier – No issues with my Internet data usage.

Two: No issues found with my sim card – Works fine in another mobile device

Three: Reset network data network setting – Still no Internet but icon visible 3G

Four: Restored all phone setting back to factory settings – Still no Internet but icon visible 3G

Five: Updated to the latest iTunes and re sync iphone – Still no Internet but icon visible 3G

Six: Searched for iphone software updates – responded, that I have the most up to date software on my mobile device

What research found:

As a pay as you go holder in Australia it is a requirement that I am able to enter in my APN and password into the mobile device, as it needs to be verified. The current software now does not offer that option.

**Please note that is has happen since I have updated my software.

My question is: what can I do know. Regardless of getting a new phone, the same issue will arise as my iTunes has the ios 6.4.1 already loaded into and it seams to be the ios 6.4.1 software fault.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 31, 2013 9:08 PM

5 replies

May 31, 2013 9:24 PM in response to modular747

Sorry, yes you are correct! It is a typo

Background - Vaya

I have had the phone plan working for about 5 months, with no previous issues with the data working.

Vaya - have only just released the 4G network plans (one month ago)

Does this mean that I have to upgrade my plan to the 4G fleix cap to receive a cellular compatibility?

Or do I have to purchase a locked in contract with them for this issue to be resovled?

Dec 31, 2013 5:59 PM in response to harmonyameli

Did you ever resolve this?

My wife's iPhone 5 here on Vaya Power 18 plan. 4G data seems to work fine but 3G (or EDGE or 2G) comes up with that message about not activating the mobile data connection. (iOS 7.0.3 currently I believe). It did work originally and perhaps the problem showed up with the iOS7 upgrade.

Have done the things you did also with no success.

Dec 31, 2013 10:17 PM in response to harmonyameli

Hi there!

The issue for some reason resolved it's self 4 days later.

I have now also found out that vaya turn off your data or you calls limit if you go over your allowance for that month.

I have had my data and my calls turned off for going "over" only ever once, as well as my brothers device (same flexi cap as mine).

Here is what they said when I emailed them:

"I'm sorry to hear that your mobile number 040945***was barred due to you reaching your data allowance amounting of $11.40 (43 MB) and mobile number 0468383*** for reaching the allowances of standard calls/sms amounting of ($206.00).

- $0.40 over my cap

- $6.00 over his ca

The best solution for this is... If you know you are approaching a limit (e.g. international calls, data, standard calls) before the end of the month, what you can do is add credit to your account, then we will be able to raise your limit for the category required. For example, if you add $100 to your account, we can raise your limit by $100. Once you have credited your account, give us a call or email, and we will then be able to raise the limit for you. If you can pre-empt the situation and get in touch with us, this will reduce the chance of your service being blocked."

So pretty much they will block your service if they see fit. I spend most of Christmas trying to get it turned back on with (that was after 4 emails and social media out reach)

I don't know i

f this helps you. But it is good to know about it for the future.

:)

Jan 1, 2014 3:59 AM in response to harmonyameli

Hi

I found this site referenced in a couple of other threads

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

It created a special profile for Vaya which then made 3G work. However then 4G stopped working ! So I removed the profile and was back to where I started it seemed.

I played around with it a couple of times adding and removing it and now it *seems* to be working on both 3G and 4G. Time will tell if that fix really stuck though. I found other references to "Cellular" and "APN" settings etc but they are not available on the phone I have even though it's a completely unbranded/unlocked device bought direct from Apple rather than from a carrier.

I wasn't aware they'd just block the account if you hit your limits so that's good to know. I expected them to just charge at the inflated "included calls rate" of roughly $1/minute.

Not been able to access the Internet (3G) for a week: “Could not activate cellular data network”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.