Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked iPhone 5 bought in Canada not working in Brazil

Hello folks!

I'm experiencing a disappointing issue here. I bought an unlocked Iphone 5 in the Pacific Centre Apple Store (Vancouver, BC) and paid the full price.

As I had a contract-free plan of Fido (with a regular SIM card), the attendent from Apple store gave me a nano SIM and asked me to go to the Fido store in order to activate it. So I did it. The phone worked fine in Canada but back to Brazil, I tried to insert 2 different SIMs from 2 different carriers (Oi and Tim) and this message appears for both: "This iPhone is not currently setup to work with carrier you're attempting to use. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked".

Who should I contact? I already tried to reset the phone before insert the SIMs but it didn't work. After reset the phone, the name of Carrier in "About" changes for the corresponding SIM, I see bars of signal but the message keeps appearing.

I hope someone can help me! =)

Thank you.

iPhone 5

Posted on May 31, 2013 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 1:13 AM

Perhaps the phone that you purchased from the Apple store was not actually unlocked, but sim free instead, which means that the phone will lock to the first sim card that you insert into the phone - ie Fido.

To get the phone unlocked, you would need to contract Fido and see if they will unlock it for you. Failing this, you would need to return to or contact the Apple store in Canada where you purchased the phone to see if the phone was truly unlocked or sim free and see what they will do about it. If it was their mistake and the phone is still in warranty she should exchange it for you - if it was not an unlocked phone and you requested an unlocked phone, then they should still replace it for you.

Do you still have your receipt for this phone? If so, it should tell you on this whether the phone is unlocked or not. Check it and see.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2013 1:13 AM in response to kellentjioe

Perhaps the phone that you purchased from the Apple store was not actually unlocked, but sim free instead, which means that the phone will lock to the first sim card that you insert into the phone - ie Fido.

To get the phone unlocked, you would need to contract Fido and see if they will unlock it for you. Failing this, you would need to return to or contact the Apple store in Canada where you purchased the phone to see if the phone was truly unlocked or sim free and see what they will do about it. If it was their mistake and the phone is still in warranty she should exchange it for you - if it was not an unlocked phone and you requested an unlocked phone, then they should still replace it for you.

Do you still have your receipt for this phone? If so, it should tell you on this whether the phone is unlocked or not. Check it and see.

Jun 24, 2013 2:43 PM in response to kellentjioe

My girlfriend has run into this exact same problem in Italy. She bought an iPhone 5 supposedly unlocked at an Apple Store, used it in Canada for a few months and now gets the same error trying to use a SIM from the Tim carrier in Italy.

Is there a way to get it unlocked remotely or will she have to bring the phone into the Apple Store to get this resolved. And how is it the Apple Store is selling these phones as unlocked when they aren't at all unlocked? 😠

Unlocked iPhone 5 bought in Canada not working in Brazil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.