Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air reclaims memory almost continues...why?

OSX 10.8.3

MacBook Air from middle of 2009

RAM 2G, 2.13GHz core duo proc

I know that 2G is on the low-side of memory, but that's how the box was shipped. The box was first shipped with 10.7 and i've upgraded it to latest. I'm running the free memory clean from Fiplab and it's working hard to keep memory usable. So the "wheel of death" is showing quit alot and the cumputer hangs while reclamining is under scan. The box is not a upgradable due to chipset /memory not swappable. Hence, it is what it is. Is there a possibility to change to OSX, so this box can run better? Do not say -"downgrade to 10.7"....or reinstall....i've tried the reinstall but no luck. I've run all cleaing apps, donw the permission scan on drive and all other first and simple stuff. Now i'm stuck.

Maybe it's time to buy a newer one 🙂

Thanks for all support in advance; Jonas

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 2:35 AM

Firstly, it is not recommended nor necessary to use third party memory management applications. Mountain Lion has an autonomous system which is very good at it's job.

In Activity Monitor you can see how much memory is in use. In the screen shot below, the green area of the pie chart is free memory and the blue is inactive memory. Essentially the blue area still holds information from recent usage and therefore can speed up re-use of this data, so a large amount of green "free" memory is actually a waste of capacity.

What is more relevant is the "Page Out" figure as this may indicate that data needs to be written out from RAM to the hard disk. Too little RAM may cause this to happen.

Since the MBA has SSD and this is fast memory too, having 2Gb of RAM is not the limitation it would have been with an older hard disk.

If your computer shows evidence of low memory I would suggest reducing the number of apps running at any one time, although even that is not necessary if the Page Out quantity is low or nil.

User uploaded file

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2013 2:35 AM in response to hoaxe

Firstly, it is not recommended nor necessary to use third party memory management applications. Mountain Lion has an autonomous system which is very good at it's job.

In Activity Monitor you can see how much memory is in use. In the screen shot below, the green area of the pie chart is free memory and the blue is inactive memory. Essentially the blue area still holds information from recent usage and therefore can speed up re-use of this data, so a large amount of green "free" memory is actually a waste of capacity.

What is more relevant is the "Page Out" figure as this may indicate that data needs to be written out from RAM to the hard disk. Too little RAM may cause this to happen.

Since the MBA has SSD and this is fast memory too, having 2Gb of RAM is not the limitation it would have been with an older hard disk.

If your computer shows evidence of low memory I would suggest reducing the number of apps running at any one time, although even that is not necessary if the Page Out quantity is low or nil.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2013 8:45 AM in response to hoaxe

At the moment it is Fiplab that is choking your computer. It is the very act of reading and writing between the RAM and the hard disk that causes the slowness. The app is writing out to disk to "free memory" and make the pie chart nice and green. But much of the same information will then need to be written back to RAM again. You must get rid of Fiplab.

You could try some graphics test programs such as Geekbench, to see if your computer is good or bad compared with others. But I still do fine with a 2009 MBP albeit now with 8Gb of RAM but not the advantage of SSD.

http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/download/mac/

Jun 2, 2013 11:11 PM in response to putnik

Of course!

Here's a score with fiplab memory clean:

User uploaded file

And here's the score without fiblan memory clean:

User uploaded file

And the socre is a bit better without the "memory manager", but it's not enough i think. The test was done without any running application (i killed all nonnessasary) and i did run "purge" before.

Why is your box better and faster? looking at the figures - can it be a cpu issue? Looks like your box has better score on integers and floating points.

Regards J

Jun 3, 2013 2:05 AM in response to hoaxe

My first thought is that running a "purge" is going to clear out the inactive (blue) memory. This then needs to be repopulated, so may actually slow it down temporarily. Also, there are large variations in scores and newer models are blisteringly fast compared to yours and mine. Also, it will be interesting to see what effect 10.8.4 has on your MBA, if any.

Here is a comparison chart I found. I expect they are run with the 64 bit app and may be more accurate.

http://lucjano.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/pc-to-mac-macbook-air-buyers-guide/

User uploaded file

Jun 8, 2013 11:12 AM in response to putnik

I've install the 10.8.4 update, but i can't "feel" or measure any improvment for my MBA, yet. I run a benchmark and i got about the same score, and as you wrote..." Also, it will be interesting to see what effect 10.8.4 has on your MBA, if any". You probably right 😀

Thanks for the support and valuable input.

Regards Jonas

My MacBook Air reclaims memory almost continues...why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.