Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are iPhoto keywords and events backed up on Time Machine?

I'm about to give up my iMac (my work computer), which is where I've stored photos in iPhoto for 5+ years. I have a million events and keywords. I do backup iPhoto onto Time Machine. Are my photos AND keywords and events backed up on Time Machine? And if I plug in Time Machine to a different Mac, will I be able to restore the iPhoto from my old Mac -- photos and keywords and all? Thanks!

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 7:21 AM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2013 7:46 AM in response to purses4me

I have a million events and keywords.

That is many!

I do backup iPhoto onto Time Machine. Are my photos AND keywords and events backed up on Time Machine?

Have you excluded anything from Time Machine backup in the Time Machine Preferences "Options" panel?

All your keywords, albums, other metadata tags, like Faces and Places, are included in your iPhoto Library. If you have included a backup of the iPhoto Library in your TM backup, then all these data should be saved. By default your iPhoto library will be called "iPhoto Library.photolibrary" (in iPhoto 9.4.3) and be stored in your "Pictures" folder.

Select your iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder, connect your TimeMachine volume, and enter Time Machine. Do you see your iPhoto Library while in the Time Tunnel?

User uploaded file

Also, you may want to check, if iPhoto actually imported your photos into the iPhoto library,or is referencing them in folders outside the library.

Select some of your photos and use the command "File > Reveal in Finder > Original File" to show the image files. Does that open a folder outside your library or inside? If the original files are stored outside, you will have to check, if these folders are also included in your TimeMachine backup.

Regards

Léonie

Are iPhoto keywords and events backed up on Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.