Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a lot of movies on my computer and need to free up memory. What is the best solution, if I think I may need these movies in the future?

I'm an elementary music teacher and my students perform regularly so I have a lot of their performances on my computer. Now I need to free up memory so am wondering what the best solution would be, given that I may need access to these movies again in the future.

I do have an external hard drive, but have never been able to figure out if you can store movies on it, instead of on the computer hard drive.

Thanks so much!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), also have iMovie and iDVD

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 6:43 AM

6 replies

Jun 1, 2013 11:22 AM in response to iteachmusic

In iDVD projects the source files are only linked to so they would be located in their original location. That is unless you created an archive iDVD project file, XXXX Archived.dvdproJ, which copies the source files into the project file and deleted the original source files.

IMovie saves it's files in your Home/Movies folder in folders titled iMovie Events and iMovie Projects.

Disk Utility does not store files. It creates and burns disk images among it's other festures.

OT

Jun 2, 2013 11:35 PM in response to iteachmusic

Good evening,

I see you have another post about deleting movies and iDVD projects. Wanting the video to be available in the future is a significant criteria because video files are very large and are very compressed to fit on a DVD. If you want the video to be available in the future for additional editing (eg, highlights of the year), ideally you'd want to save the video in a format which will easily allow this. To me, this suggests you delete the iDVD projects but keep the iMovie files for future editing. This accomplishes the easy editing objective but keeps a lot of large files on your hard drive (each iMovie/iDVD project will be about 20% smaller -- assuming a 4 to 1 compression).

If you are willing to accept some additional work in the future and are okay with some reduction in video quality, you can pull sections from an existing DVD and use iMovie to combine them. The extra work is required to decompress the DVD, and this is also the reason for loss of some sharpness. This strategy reduces the file size of your combined projects by about 80% if you save disc images (virtual DVDs), or if you save the physical DVDs, you save 100% of the space.

I'd decide about the tradeoffs before jumping into action.

John

I have a lot of movies on my computer and need to free up memory. What is the best solution, if I think I may need these movies in the future?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.