Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which disk was not ejected properly?

My Mac setup:

MacBookPro8,2 • Intel Core i7 • 2.3 GHz • 16GB Ram • 10.8.3 (all updates applied)

• Apple full USB Keyboard (most recent model) attached directly to my Mac
  • Wacom tablet (Intuos 3) connected to my keyboard's USB port
  • LaCie eSATA Thunderbolt Hub connected directly to my Mac Thunderbolt port
  • NEC MultiSync PA271w monitor connected to the Lacie Hub via Mini Display Port to Display Port adapter

Four external hard drives attached:

• 1 USB Western Digital Book hard drive connected directly to my Mac
  • 1 Firewire OWC Mercury Elite Pro RAID external drive connected directly to my Mac
  • 1 Firewire OWC Mercury Elite Pro RAID daisy-chained to the first
  • 1 eSATA Mercury Elite-AL Pro enclosure (SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD) connected to the Lacie eSATA Hub

No, my question:

Every time I put my computer to sleep and then re-awaken it, I get the following error message:

User uploaded file

I know what the error message means, but it INFURIATES me that the message does not say which disk was improperly ejected .

Now, I know what you're thinking: "It's the disk that isn't mounted, stupid!" But the problem is that all of my disks are mounted fine. There is never a disk missing. So, apparently this is happening either at the moment of sleep and then remounting during sleep (is that even possible?) or is happening very quickly on re-awakening.

Things I've tried:

• My System Pref/Energy Saver settings are set to not put hard disks to sleep.
  • I've used the app Jettison to eject all drives before sleep, hoping to avoid this error on wake.
  • I've taken my Macbook Pro to the Apple store for repair (where I was actually able to reprodue the problem, which NEVER happens at the Genius Bar, haha). Apple sent it away and had the motherboard replaced.
  • Bought different external drives, a waste of money since it continues to happen.

At the very least, I'd like to be able to find out which drive is ejecting so I can check it for data corruption and do some compatibility research. Is there some backdoor Console/Terminal/whatever method of finding which drive is behind this annoyingly vague error message?

Dejected and Ejected,

Modern Pixel

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 11:29 AM

7 replies

Jun 1, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Modern Pixel

Modern Pixel wrote:

But the problem is that all of my disks are mounted fine.

In that case, just before you put your machine to sleep, why not try dismounting all disks except your Macintosh HD drive? Then you could remount them upon awakening. Maybe that will clear out this issue.

I'm suggesting this as a one-time exercise - I'm not suggesting you do this routinely and repeatedly.

Jun 1, 2013 2:49 PM in response to Modern Pixel

The next time you have the problem, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Select any messages timestamped from then until the end of the episode. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Aug 7, 2013 7:32 AM in response to jimchik2

jimchik2,

It turned out that the LaCie eSATA Thunderbolt Hub was not compatible with the chipset (Oxford 944SE) of my drive. I purchased the Thunderbolt Hub as soon as it came out and at the time Lacie was claiming it worked with any eSATA drive. Since then, Lacie has revised their site to say that it is not compatible with some drives and is meant to be used with their own. So, it is a mixture of false advertising (on Lacie's part) and bad luck that I got the generation of drives that used that particular chipset.

Since then, I've removed the Lacie Hub altogether and reverted to using the drives via Firewire. I no longer get the mysterious eject message.

Incidentally, the person I spoke to at OWC (where I purchased the drive) said that the Oxford 944SE chipset is known to have problems with sleeping and waking in certain situations. So, if any of your attached drives use that chipset, it could be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Sep 20, 2013 4:11 AM in response to Modern Pixel

I've been following this issue for a long time on one of the other Apple forum discussions. A suggestion was made to install an app called Jettison (by St. Clair Software). Since doing this two days ago, I have not seen the infamous "improper ejection" error message. Jettison seems to do, automatically without any effort on my part, exactly what the developer says: "Jettison eliminates the hassle of manually ejecting external drives before you put your MacBook to sleep and remounting them when it wakes."

By automatically unmounting my two external USB drives when the computer goes to sleep, Jettison is eliminating the opportunity for Apple's faulty USB power management system to improperly eject my external drives. As soon as my computer wakes up, Jettison quickly remounts the external drives. And, most importantly, Jettison has NOT caused any conflict with my Time Machine backups or my SuperDuper clone backups (three of which are scheduled to run automatically at 1:00am every night.

See: <http://stclairsoft.com/Jettison/index.html>

Jan 8, 2016 6:20 PM in response to Modern Pixel

Modern Pixel wrote:

jimchik2,

Incidentally, the person I spoke to at OWC (where I purchased the drive) said that the Oxford 944SE chipset is known to have problems with sleeping and waking in certain situations. So, if any of your attached drives use that chipset, it could be the problem.

It is but it isn't the chipset. Meaning, those chips never had a problem prior to OS 10.9. I purchased 2 OWC Merury Elite Pro drive enclosures in Decemer 2015 and found that on my iMac11,1 running El Capitan, the drives only Sleep with the USB cable but never Sleep (unless Ejected) with the faster (on my computer anyway) FW800 cable. Here's what OWC told me, and I quote:

"This is a known issue with both the Oxford 944 and JMicron 355 chipset in 10.9 or later. Unfortunately, we have not received a fix for the issue from Oxford or JMicron. We've also submitted a bug report to Apple and have not heard back from them either."

Which disk was not ejected properly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.