Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

Why do some of my movies or tv shows on itunes not have a picture and it says "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 11:16 AM

6 replies

Sep 10, 2013 2:22 PM in response to tickrrno

This is a bug within iTunes

It happens when the library is on an external drive.
It is so stupid that actually if you remove the movie from iTunes (but not delete it) and then drag the file back to iTunes it then works!!

Which shows this is a BUG as the original file is exactly the same.

Seriously I've used and recommended iTunes to all my friends, I've got thousands of songs, hundreds of TV shows and movies I bought from the store but the iTunes experience is becoming more frustrating (my wife has now insisted on opening a Netflix account which we would never have done a couple of years ago).

The development team has probably changed in the last few years or the old team has become sloppy but we don't have the same quality and perfection driven programmers we used to have at Apple.

The last versions of iTunes have, I"m sure costs millions in development costs and brought absolutely nothing.

They haven't earned their salary, we could have kept the version from 3 years ago.

Actually it was better, some kind of design dictator decided that he didn't like the songs view and kept downgrading it, we don't see the album artwork as we used to in the bottom left, worse they got rid of the genius sidebar on the right which we used to buy new songs recommended by the genius.

Just this change must have costed them millions, I clearly buy much less songs since this disappeared as I'm not tempted any longer by smart recommendations. You could theoretically still access it by clicking on the album view (which is horrible and useless as we don't own entire albums) then click on 'in the store' try songs and then go back to the 'songs' view. But why forcing me to do so many clicks to see the genius recos??

Why not real improvements ? *** are they doing ?

Is it that difficult to propose optional higher music quality for us to upgrade the standard bit rate? Headphones have considerably improved and the quality of songs is now dramatically lagging.

Also at a time others make fortunes with the concept of sharing any of your thoughts with your friends how come I still can't show my friends the songs I like so they can try and buy ?

Why can't we automatically add lyrics, have some karaoke functionality etc...

Look I'm passionate about these things but I can't understand why I can come with better ideas than they ever had in the last few years when it's their job to be passionate about Apple products.
I've got a very good job and I don't intend to do anything else but seriously I wouldn't sleep if I was part of that iTunes team.

Apple changed the world, iTunes is probably more important for their future than building phones and imacs as it will allow them to have stable and predictable revenues for many years just like a utility company and it is not in good hands at the moment.

WAKE UP!

Sep 10, 2013 4:51 PM in response to tickrrno

If it is on an external drive (with the rest of your iTunes library), move it over to your Mac and then delete the movie from iTunes. Answer Yes to delete the file when prompted (your file is safe on your Mac, so do not fear). Then double click on the file on your Mac. iTunes will copy the file back to your external drive (your iTunes library).

I have had this problem for years and I still cannot find a solution. Setting iTunes to 32 bit mode does not fix it for me.

Also, the QuickTime player never fails to play them back, even rentals. Figure that one out.

Dec 6, 2013 10:25 AM in response to mgranchi

Nice rant... I agree.

I'm one of those who doesn't normally "upgrade" to the latest version of anything unless it's actually neccessary or useful. So I have still have iTunes from about 3 years ago on my work tower at home.

Decided to get a new Mac Mini for the entertainment portion of my household. It's great and all, but wow, iTunes keeps getting dumber and dumber.

It's why I haven't used the iTunes store for music in years. I only use it for TV and movies these days, and not even all of the time.

This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.