Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi on 4s greyed out...need to back up :(

About 4 months ago, my Apple store kindly replaced my cracked iphone with a new one. the problem is, this new iphone has some issues. It worked fine until after about a month when the phone ran out of battery and when i charged it i discovered the wifi "on/off" button was "greyed out" as people refer to it as being. I serched for hours and tried many solutions to no luck. I then contacted Apple support and the person still didnt know how to fix it. this is a big issue because there are many things i need wifi for most importantly being the ICloud back up. Anyways, i accedentally let the battery drain and the wifi option was back! i quickly backed up my phone and i thought that was a one time thing. however, the phone wasnt picking up any signal from my home wifi so i turned off the phone and turned it back on (seeing if it would hopefully come back on) only to find the wifi was "greyed out" again. this time i did everything and it didint work until about last week. last week the wifi lasted for one day and now it doesnt pick any wifi signal from anything or anywhere. tried connecting it to itunes to see if anything wuld happen and a pop-up told me that my iphone doesnt work on itunes.. it also told me to restore it but i dont want to restore it in case the wifi greys out again.....

...here is the main problem i guess haha... how can i back up my current phone if i cannot get wifi to pick up.I am going to go to the Apple store sometime soon and i should have my back up ready for when i get the newly working phone. but i cant back up without wifi and im hesitant to turn off the phone because i dont want it to grey out again becuase i wouldnt know how to get it working again. Or should i not worry about backing it up but just focus on getting the new phone and just use the last back up from about a month and a half ago. Thank you for reading. any advice would be appreciated. sorry for this post being so everywhere also lol

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 8:21 PM

1 reply

Jun 4, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Joyner12

Hi Joyner12,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Wi-Fi. The article below gives some troubleshooting steps for this issue:

iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim

I would suggest you back up your iPhone using iTunes before taking it in to the Apple store. Here's how:

iOS: How to back up and restore your content

The article has more details and screenshots, but I've quoted highlights below for you:

iCloud and iTunes can back up most data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Backed-up information includes purchased music, TV shows, apps, and books*; photos and video in the Camera Roll; device settings (for example, Phone Favorites, Wallpaper, and Mail, Contacts, Calendar accounts); app data; Home screen and app organization; Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS), ringtones, and more. Media files synced from your computer aren’t backed up, but can be restored by syncing with iTunes.

* Backup of purchased music is not available in all countries. Backup of purchased TV shows occurs only in the United States. Previous purchases may not be restored if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore.

iTunes

How to back up

iTunes can create backups of your iOS device when you:

• Sync with iTunes (disabled if you have iCloud backup turned on)
  • Right-click (or Control-click) the iOS device in iTunes under Devices and choose Back Up

Use these steps to manually back up your iOS device using iTunes:

1. Connect your iOS device to a computer with the latest version of iTunes installed.
  2. Click the File menu and select Devices > Back up.

Or

1. Connect your iOS device to a computer with the latest version of iTunes installed.
  2. Open the iOS device's Summary tab. There are two ways to access this. Click the device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper right corner. The device button will then be visible.)

From any view in iTunes, click the View menu and select Show Sidebar. Select your iOS device in iTunes under Devices.

3. Click the Back Up Now button.

To verify that the backup finished successfully, open iTunes Preferences and select the Devices tab. The name of the device will appear along with the date and time the backup was created.

I hope this information helps ....

Have a great day!

- Judy

Wifi on 4s greyed out...need to back up :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.