Skip navigation

Available memory

589 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 7:53 PM by Allan Eckert RSS
Damien13 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 1, 2013 8:39 PM

How do i check the proportion of memory i have available on my operating system?

Thanks,

Peter

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (39,485 points)
    Jun 1, 2013 8:42 PM (in response to Damien13)

To check RAM, open Activity Monitor > System Memory

Why do you wish to do that?

Allan

• seventy one Level 6 Level 6 (8,525 points)
    Jun 2, 2013 12:46 AM (in response to Damien13)

There is a very useful dashboard check called iStat Pro which tells you all manner of things about your Mac.   Free download.

Download iStat Pro for Mac - Advanced system monitoring widget.MacUpdate.com

Activity monitor can be found in your applications folder and by clicking on it and dragging it to the dock, you will deposit a copy there for future use.   The original will remain in your folder.

Jun 2, 2013 6:38 AM (in response to Damien13)

A very simple way to find Activity Monitor is to click on the little magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner of the screen and then start typing in 'activity'. Spotlight will start showing item on your hard drive that start with those letters. On my system 'ac' is enough for Spotlight to find it. As soon as Activity Monitor pops up as Top Hit, depress the left mouse button twice and it will open.

Allan

• BobHarris Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)
    Jun 2, 2013 8:17 AM (in response to Damien13)

I'm doing it because I want to know if I have too many self-created folders and whether this is causing my connection to the net to keep dropping out? I'm also unable over the past week to receive emails through my imac mail app. My service provider has suggested that i check these out?

There is really no relationship between RAM, disk storage (such as folders), and network connections.  If you are having networking problems, you need to consider some other issue.

With respect folders, the only known impact lots of folders have on RAM is in older versions of Mac OS X if there were too many folders or files placed on the Desktop, as at one time in the past, the Finder created little windows for each file/folder icon and those windows took up RAM, and since the Desktop is always there, the RAM was always in use.  Later Finder versions stopped that practice.

Besides that one Finder issue, there is not relationship between the number of folders you create and RAM usage.

By the way, Activity Monitor is Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor

Jun 3, 2013 7:42 PM (in response to Damien13)

In Activity Monitor, The free RAM is the total of Free and Inactive. The used RAM is total of Wired and Active.

Why do you ever care? OS X does a fairly good job of managing RAM on its own.

So what problem are you trying to solve here?

Allan

Jun 3, 2013 7:53 PM (in response to Damien13)

I figure that is what the operating system is there for.

I use the Mac until it goes slow only then do I start worrying about it.

I mean I didn't buy my Mac to worry about how it is using RAM.

I bought so that I can process my photos and the other stuff I do.

If you do want to watch things a very easy way to do it is to download and install atMonitor. It reports CPU. Temp, RAM, Disk and networks.

Allan

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.