Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to export M2V, getting an annoying white line down side...

Hey guys, looking been looking for solutions to this but to no avail...

Trying to compress a prores 1920x1080 422 hq clip into an m2v for burning. Problem is whenever I touch the frame controls, I seem to get a freaking annoying white line down the right hand side of my vid.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If I turn the frame controls off, it works, but I want them on because the image quality is far superior with it one.

Here's the settings I had:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Another really annoying thing is that I did an experiment, I opened the prores in QT player, exported for web/computer/h264 and brought that into compressor, rendered it out. No white line. But H264 looks like utter crud.

Any ideas?? This is so infuriating. Thanks so much 🙂

Compressor, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 10:27 PM

7 replies

Jun 2, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Russ H

The Arri Alexa shoots the 4444 codec.

Yeah, did that. Same deal... This is truly doing my head in.

I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and turn motion control off. It ***** because the first shot of the film is a shot of the night sky and almost all of the stars get eaten up by the compression without that setting on.

Jun 2, 2013 12:58 PM in response to joshtanner

A line (usually a green line) down the right side of a video usually means a size mismatch that the codec can't deal with. What is the final size the video shows, m2v?

Set Details Level to zero and turn off Active Details. Details Level and Anti-alias are used when up-sizing a video.

You may need to do the re-sizing before going to m2v. Resize using ProRes (4444 is an over kill) and use that to make your m2v. And use better as Russ has pointed out. The best setting will yield about 10% in quality over better. You will not see that 10% gain in quality in the final video. Especially since your going to m2v for the final video. When you use frame control to convert a video to m2v. Frame control has be read during each (2) pass adding to the time to the encoding. Personaly, if I need to use frame control to make a DVD (or h.264), I make a intermediate video... PreRes, and use that to make my DVD or h.264 video.

Lastly, if this doesn't fix the white line you may need to crop off 1 or 2 pixel lines (right or left) from the video. You won't see this in the final video.

User uploaded file

I have had to do this.

Food for thought... If your making DVDs from 1080 video footage or having to resize the video regularly for DVDs or h.264 encoding. You can use the 'NEW JOB WITH TARGET OUT PUT' option in *Compressor. This will make a ProRes intermediate video with the size changes (you need set the new size). After that has be encoded it will automatically convert that ProRes video to m2v.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You can either do this at night (sleep time) or do something else while this is being executed.

Old video showing how to use this option. It will also tell you why you wouldn't want to use frame control when making an h.264 (m2v) video:

http://pixelcorps.cachefly.net/macbreak-154-540p-h264.mov

*If your using Compressor 3.5... the second encoding (MPEG-2 in the above example) you will need to set the size in the geometry widow. Compressor 3.5 leaves this blank (a bug), this was fixed in Compressor 4.

Trying to export M2V, getting an annoying white line down side...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.