Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recent items, Finder sidebar additions, etc. reset after every restart

This is very strange. All changes I make to the Finder sidebar, Apple Menu Recent Items, Text Edit "Open Recent", etc. ever since a certain point in time (about a few months ago now) are constantly reset (missing, forgotten deleted -- GONE) after every restart. This is getting so frustrating. I didn't know about the Finder sidebar issue at first so I created a smart search folder to include recent apps & documents used in the past few days or so, so that when I lost the Apple Menu and other Recent Items I'd still have the saved Finder sidebar searches. Now that it happened again though, I see those Finder sidebar items are gone too! It's literally like my Mac doesn't want to remember any changes after a certain date in the past (now that I think of it, there were two items that kept disappearing from my Finder sidebar that I had to keep adding back, but I didn't know it was all related).

Is this a PRAM issue? I've run the disk thru Disk Utility First Aid and repaired permissions several times and all is well. Normally I would say there is a prefs or cache file to trash, but if they are resetting on their own back to that point in time trashing them would only make me lose more. In fact, a few weeks ago I saw that my Text Edit Recent Items was reverting to the same state from long ago (documents I hadn't opened in a long time) so I did trash that file. But then it just cleared and now reverts to that cleared state as I explained, not remembering anything I opened before the restart. I do have Time Machine back-ups but I'm not sure that just replacing the recent items and finder plist files will help. How can all those files be corrupt every time. It's more like a whole section of the Mac's "memory" is gone, not just one menu or file.

Can anyone help? I am beginning to dread having to restart now as a result. Thanks to anyone that can help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel/2.53 GHz - 8 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 3:06 AM

1 reply

Jun 2, 2013 3:27 AM in response to SWLinPHX

P.S. I have read similar issues that all tell me (along with my own experimentation) that deleting prefs (.plist) files is not the issue with these things being forgotten after restart. Here's a discussion on a similar issue.

P.P.S. Okay, I just found an even more accurate discussion of my exact issue from a few years ago. I'm going to see if this is the problem. It is so exactly the issue I'm having that I'm hopeful it works!

Recent items, Finder sidebar additions, etc. reset after every restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.