Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Cycle Count

Hi All,

Does any body know how OSX count the power cycle count?

I noticed my MacBook Pro power cycle count increment by 2 instead of 1.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 1:58 AM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2013 2:17 AM in response to Maorriyan

That really can't happen. You probably aren't noticing the individual counts. A cycle is a full discharge and recharge or multiple discharges and recharges that equal one full dischrage and recharge. Like running the battery down to around 50% then recharging it. If you do that twice it equals one cycle. running the battery down to 75% then charging it would take four of them to equal one cycle count. So if you are running the battery down to 20% or lower then charging and again down to 20% or lower then charging depending on what you did in the recent past that could increase the count by 2 cycles.

Maorriyan wrote:

Hi All,

Does any body know how OSX count the power cycle count?

I noticed my MacBook Pro power cycle count increment by 2 instead of 1.

Jun 11, 2013 11:21 PM in response to Maorriyan

I keep my MBP connected to mains almost always... however, I have a reminder set up for every two weeks so that I'll remember to disconnect from mains and let my battery run down to about 30-40% before connecting to mains again. That keeps the battery healthy and happy - I've had this machine since March of 2012 and my battery health is 99% with 163 cycles.

Good luck,

Clinton

Power Cycle Count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.