Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't send email on my imac or macbook pro since updating to 10.7.5

First my iMac stopped sending mail. Three separate accounts say the outgoing server is offline including icloud. Then, when I updated my macbook it stopped sending mail as well.

any ideas? i'm reduced to sending all my email from my phone.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), also iMac

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 7:19 AM

4 replies

Jun 4, 2013 8:06 AM in response to sakramer

Hey sakramer,

The best place to start to fix the Mail to start sending emails is using Connection Doctor. It will give a report on if Mail is able to contact the incoming and outgoing email servers. I found an article that will explain Connection Doctor and also give some troubleshooting steps to fix your issue.

OS X Mail: Troubleshooting sending and receiving email messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3276

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Jul 11, 2014 3:20 PM in response to sakramer

Under Windows in the Menu bar select Connection doctor. You will see green to indicate a connection and red to show there is a problem. You can click on more details button, but with multiple accounts this is often hard for some users to read result. Except for iCloud account you'll see two entries for each account 1) receiving and 2 SMTP for sending.

EDIT SMTP SETTINGS

In Accounts window > Outgoing Mail Server SMTP: select to Edit SMTP Server list... from popup.

Select account in the list.(It's not uncommon to find extra SMTP servers listed. When you remove account, Mail does not delete the smtp info. You might need to do some clean up in the list to remove the extras.)

Under Advanced Tab:

User uploaded file

Apple defaults to the default ports (25,465, 587) but some servers prefer a custom port. Check to see what port they recommend. Gmail for example likes 465, Outlook.com 587.

Most servers require SSL but you should verify your account requirements. Gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo and AOL all require SSL

User Name. Enter full email address eg. UserName@gmail.com

Add password if it is blank.(If you have two step authentication setup, you'll need to get an app specific password more info)

Open Connection Doctor under Window in the Menu bar.

Do you see green light now for your account SMTP?

i can't send email on my imac or macbook pro since updating to 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.