Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match & Multiple AppleID Users

I am in the process of merging my wife's personal digital music collection with my iTunes Library as we have only have one working computer in the house (2008 MacBook, still kicking!) and I'd like one central collection. We both have our own iPhone5 and use separate AppleID's.

Using our shared iTunes Library located on my Macbook and using my AppleID, I signed up for iTunes Match and have been using it successfully on all of my iOS enabled devices; however, I'd like to make this library available on my wife's iPhone5 so she can have access to our shared music. Is it possible for her to access iTunes Match registered under my AppleID while she is signed in to her AppleID on her iPhone5?

Assuming that our music collection is too big to fit on any iPhone's internal harddrive and understanding that we only have the one computer, what is the best way to accomplish this goal? Is it possible to function with one AppleID on your iPhone but use another for your iTunes match? I feel like Apple makes this type of thing difficult but I don't see how a husband and a wife sharing each other's music collection could be considered music piracy.

Any advice or workaround would be helpful, thanks!

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 9:42 AM

so i've done some hunting on other discussion threads and it seems that your iCloud AppleID (which links contacts and other data) can be treated separately than your iTunes AppleID (which governs your music and apps).

i just used my AppleID to sign into her iTunes on her iPhone and my iTunes Match loaded.

only question now is; what happens to all of her apps (and related stored data) with specific reference to purchased apps that are specifically associated with HER AppleID and separate from MY AppleID???

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2013 9:42 AM in response to LedZep44

so i've done some hunting on other discussion threads and it seems that your iCloud AppleID (which links contacts and other data) can be treated separately than your iTunes AppleID (which governs your music and apps).

i just used my AppleID to sign into her iTunes on her iPhone and my iTunes Match loaded.

only question now is; what happens to all of her apps (and related stored data) with specific reference to purchased apps that are specifically associated with HER AppleID and separate from MY AppleID???

Jun 2, 2013 10:48 AM in response to LedZep44

LedZep44 wrote:

Is it possible for her to access iTunes Match registered under my AppleID while she is signed in to her AppleID on her iPhone5?

No. iTunes Match is associated with one Apple ID and regional store.

LedZep44 wrote:

The Apple IDs for iCloud and for the iTunes can be difference but they do not have to be. For example I have one Apple ID for all my Apple services.

LedZep44 wrote:

Unfortunately your wife will now be locked out of her Apple ID on that device for 90 days and she will not be able to update any apps on the iPhone.

The iTunes Match service is designed to be a single-user service that is not signed out of. It is possible to share it, and an iTunes Store account, but if you already have more than one iTunes Store Apple ID you're really just creating problems for yourself by trying to share iTM.

Jun 2, 2013 11:05 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

thank you very much for the information and time....i'm guessing you hae some association with Apple?

Michael Allbritton wrote:

Unfortunately your wife will now be locked out of her Apple ID on that device for 90 days and she will not be able to update any apps on the iPhone.

how can apple lock you out of your own device for 3 months without warning you??? this is a little severe, no?

Michael Allbritton wrote:

The iTunes Match service is designed to be a single-user service that is not signed out of. It is possible to share it, and an iTunes Store account, but if you already have more than one iTunes Store Apple ID you're really just creating problems for yourself by trying to share iTM.

you mention that this would create problems, what kind? logistical problems or legal problems. i'm quite put off at how difficult this process is when both my wife and i have been loyal Apple customers for over a decade now. all we're trying to do is merge our digital life as we merge our physical life and i don't see how having separate apple lives prior to this junction should preclude us from sharing something as simple as digital music.

i appreciate your help but am a little frustrated by the information.

Jun 2, 2013 11:21 AM in response to LedZep44

She isn't locked out of using the device. She is locked out of logging back into her Apple ID on the device. See this Apple KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US.

As I said in my post by logging into your Apple ID on her device she will not be able to update any apps that were purchased with her Apple ID. Any new purchases will be associated with your Apple ID. So the difficulties will be logistical.

iTunes Match & Multiple AppleID Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.