Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can a mid 2011 27 inch iMac start up from an attached thunderbolt drive?

can a mid 2011 27 inch iMac start up from an attached thunderbolt drive (OWC eSata connected through the LaCie thunderbolt adapter)?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 27 inch mid 2011

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 12:34 PM

Yes, it can boot from a Thunderbolt drive.

5 replies

Jun 2, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Bob Gale

Yes, you can. Of course you can do the same thing using the Firewire or USB ports. DW works the same in Mountain Lion as Lion provided you have the latest version.

I would, however, recommend using CCC instead of SD!. Or use Disk Utility's Restore option. SD! cannot handle the Recovery HD partition when cloning volumes. The other two can.

Jun 2, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Bob Gale

I would consider something that doesn't use any adapter like the LaCie thunderbolt drive but if it boots from from something with an adapter no real reason not to do so. I had a friend buy the 2011 iMac at the same time I got mine but he got it with a hard drive and I got mine with SSD. After he saw the difference he bought a LaCie thunderbolt external and it works perfectly, making his iMac boot super fast and apps open MUCH faster even though it's running off an external.

+1 to the comment a bout CCC. I was a long time SD user but now use CCC because it keeps my emergency boot partition in place. Dunno why SD hasn't implemented that but nothing to worry about.

can a mid 2011 27 inch iMac start up from an attached thunderbolt drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.