Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse not staying connected

Magic Mouse is not staying connected. It pairs up with my iMac for about 20 seconds or so, and then the connection is lost.

This is not a battery issue, as they have been changed

Nothing else about computer setup has changed.

This is the second mouse I have had to buy for this computer. I replaced the previous one in April 2013.

And now this one is now misbehaving....or more precisely not working on an ongoing basis.

Today I had to buy a wired Apple mouse just to be able to get onto this Community.

Not a happy camper here.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iMac 27 intel Core i5 Quad

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 4:05 PM

23 replies

Jun 3, 2013 12:08 AM in response to glharrell

When I first got a Magic Mouse I'd get random disconnects (although not as extreme as yours sound). Making it a 'favourite' fixed it for me: System Preferences>Bluetooth, select the Magic Mouse on the left and then click on the 'cog' at the bottom of the window. Select 'show more info'. You should now get the option to make it a 'favourite'.

Another suggestion I've seen mentioned on here is to put a very thin piece of card into the battery compartment to make the batteries even more secure and free of any movement. This seems to enable a more reliable connection with the battery contacts. Bit of a 'Heath Robinson' fix, but supposedly has helped a few.

Jun 4, 2013 10:01 AM in response to glharrell

My issues began a week ago after a couple of years without problem. At this point I've read and tried all the "magic mouse connection" related fixes found in many support threads. Including PRAM etc. resets, deleting preference file, favoriting mouse in bluetooth settings, cleaning, inserting paper and foil wedges, turning off my iPhone, even bought the apple battery charger/batteries.

Every once in a while the mouse will work for an hour or so and I think I've finally fixed it, but then it begins to disconnect all over again. My keyboard works fine. I haven't introduced any new wireless devices to the home. I've even turned off my wifi router. No help.

Jun 5, 2013 12:45 AM in response to glharrell

Sorry, I've assumed you already download it. Please visit the link provided below and see which bluetoth utility applies to your OS; the latest is Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0.1

I had a similar bluetooth problem in the past and aparently this utility took care of it.

Best regards.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home.search&local e=en_US&q=bluetooth%20firmware%20update

Jun 5, 2013 9:42 AM in response to BookX

thanks for the link. I was able to locate it and download it, but when I tried to install it, I received an error message, saying,

"BluetoothFirmwareUpdate2.0.1.pkg" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac Apple Store and identified developers.

😐

Jun 5, 2013 10:25 AM in response to glharrell

In your Mac's System Preferences, Security & Privacy under General tab, make sure that "Mac App Store and identified developers" is checked under "Allow applications downloaded from:" option.

You could change that and eventually save a trip to the store but, I think going to the store is ultimatelly best option.

Jun 5, 2013 11:51 AM in response to BookX

Thank you for the System Preferences information.

I did go to that preference and set

"Allow applications to be downloaded from:

•Anywhere•

Then I tried to install this firmware update.

The installer began the install process, but I shortly received another alert, saying,

"Alert. This computer does not need this application."

😐

Jun 5, 2013 4:57 PM in response to binkydognose

Fixed. Apple replaced my Magic Mouse, new one working fine.

My old one was a couple of years old but it was still covered by Apple Care because it came with my iMac.

I made a genius bar appt. online, got there a half hr early and the first guy I checked with had someone else exchange my mouse. No questions, no testing. I was out of there within 5 minutes and they were busy!

So I'm supposing these things can simply fail and as Seventy One pointed out a trip to the Apple store makes sense rather than attempt to jump through every hoop speculated about on the interwebs... If you can resist that is... I couldn't, I stubbornly attempt to "fix" stuff myself.

magic mouse not staying connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.