Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long should a MacBook Pro take to start up?

I purchased my MacBook Pro 11 mo ago, at the beginning it would take about 30 secs to start up, now it takes almost a minute (the same as my old Dell computer) the only program I have installed is Microsoft office, the mac computers at work take about 30 secs to start up.

I probably don't have more than 10 word files in "my documents" and no more than 500 photos, which I think is nothing compared to ALL the information I have in the computer at work

is it normal to take 1 minute to start up? What should I do in order to make the start up faster?

It annoys me that it takes almost the same as my old Dell computer

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 5:40 PM

4 replies

Jun 2, 2013 5:50 PM in response to A05

Mountain Lion has a annoying feature it loads the last used programs when you log in.

So disable that, there are various hacks on this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3244852?start=30&tstart=0

See if that improves your boot time and if not, then do the #12/#13 OnyC cache cleaning routine here and reboot when finished.

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

If that doesn't solve it, investigate your Office verison is compatible with your OS X version

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Uninstall it and see if the boot time resumes normally, or update it or run further through the Steps.

Why is my computer slow?

The Mac's at work, are they running 10.7 or later? Or the fast and speedy 10.6 🙂

Jun 9, 2013 5:47 PM in response to A05

The conventional MacBook Pro with a standard 5400 rpm hard drive regardless of storage capacity normally boots up at around 30 seconds, even if you put in a higher ram, it would still have the same boot up time. To make the process(boot up) faster, replace your hard drive with a 7200 rpm hard drive (boot time may take around 15-20 seconds) or for the fastest and best performance have a SSD instead ( around 10 seconds boot up time and faster launching of apps).

How long should a MacBook Pro take to start up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.