Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S won't charge, but shows 'plug' symbol

Hi, I'm an owner of a relatively new iPhone 4S and just out of the blue it's stopped charging last night.

I plugged the iPhone into my laptop last night- as per usual- and for some reason it showed only the 'plug' symbol and not the lightning bolt.

I didn't worry too much hoping it would charge anyway.

This morning the percentage has stayed at 30, occasionally dwindling down to 29 then back up to 31.

I've changed the USB, the output and tried plugging and unplugging numerous times and now am at a loss!

The phone is still recognised by my computer and syncs whenever plugged in.

I've done a hard reset soft reset and now all that's left is to restore to factory settings, but I doubt it'll do anything!

Please could someone help!

Thanks,

Rebecca

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 10:24 PM

5 replies

Jun 3, 2013 6:19 AM in response to diesel vdub

I was under the impression a 'soft reset' was manually turning off the phone using the top button and a 'hard reset' was by holding down both the centre and top button until the apple logo appeared.

So yes, I have tried both.

Earlier I also restored my phone to factory settings, nothing. Now the phone is out of power and even though it recognises when a USB is plugged, it neither charges nor connects to iTunes as the power is so low.

Jun 3, 2013 12:54 PM in response to bexsianjane

Update on the issue:

So after leaving my phone for a few hours I tried connecting to a USB again.

The apple logo starts up and whey- I have 100% battery!

All good? No. I can not use any apps, connect to wifi or basically USE the phone! As soon as I remove the phone from the power source, bang. Phone dies and won't turn on!

So, I try connecting it to my laptop hoping that the device will be recognised and something will happen. Unfortunately the apple logo keeps lighting up and fading and nothing happens.

I'm at a loss Apple!

iPhone 4S won't charge, but shows 'plug' symbol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.