Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture's Inspector menu

I have a folder containing 300+ photos lodged in the 'Recent' section of Aperture's Inspector menu and can't see how to remove it. You'd think it would disappear automatically after a given time, but it has been sitting there for six months. Control clicking the folder doesn't bring up anything helpful, and trying to delete the contents would delete the original photos.

There are no other folders listed under Recent.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Core i5, 2.66GHz, 1TB, 4GB

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 6:03 AM

We (the local ASC Aperture community) are pretty sure "Recent" shows you the last Project you opened by double-clicking a Project in Project View. To change it, go to Projects View and double-click a Project.

The "Recent" feature is poorly designed and not useful, imho.

You might suggest to Apple (via "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback") that they enhance it in some way that makes it useful to you.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 6:03 AM in response to William Heber Percy

We (the local ASC Aperture community) are pretty sure "Recent" shows you the last Project you opened by double-clicking a Project in Project View. To change it, go to Projects View and double-click a Project.

The "Recent" feature is poorly designed and not useful, imho.

You might suggest to Apple (via "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback") that they enhance it in some way that makes it useful to you.

Jun 3, 2013 6:45 AM in response to William Heber Percy

and that the feature is poorly designed and of questionable worth.

Sometimes it is quite useful - like a bookmark. This way the project I am currently working on is always readily accessible at the same place in the Inspector, and it saves the trouble to open a second Browser for the project or to mark the project as a favorite.

But it would help a lot, if this feature were documented and not a surprising easter egg!

Jun 3, 2013 8:56 AM in response to léonie

_Any_ MRU (Most Recently Used) list of Aperture containers would be a HUGE time-saving feature, imho.

IME, the container I most often want to select quickly, and cannot, is the one used prior to switching to the currently selected container. The current system of one single-level history, restricted to a Project which was launched from Projects View, would be vastly more useful if it didn't change until I selected another Project, and thus showed not the MRU Project, but the one before that.

Even so, that just makes what is, to me, a wasted feature, not-wasted. It still does not provide the functionality that I need and expect.

Jun 3, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

A "most recently used" container ist - that would be a big improvement for the workflow. Apple has it in nearly all document based applications; it is really a shame, we do not have it in Aperture.

IME, the container I most often want to select quickly, and cannot, is the one used prior to switching to the currently selected container.

And that is why the double-clicking a project to put it into the "Recent" postion is a bit useful. The project remains the "Recent" project, even if you open another project from the "Projects" section in the library panel. You have a bit of control over what will be visible there.

Jun 3, 2013 9:24 AM in response to léonie

Ich höre dich, but that is -- strictly my HO -- exemplary of execrable design.

I have to remember to use one mode (Projects View) to select the container that loads the single-level history MRU list, and then use any other mode (Library Inspector) to select other containers so that I don't lose my single-level history MRU, and then return to the first mode (which I can't otherwise use) to select the next container I want to have available in my single-level MRU list.

Habituating your users to that kind of gymnastics is bad. Bad bad bad bad BAD bad. Maybe even worse than that.

🙂 .

Jun 3, 2013 11:31 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

strictly my HO -- exemplary of execrable design.

I doubt this feature has been designed intentionally this way - it suspect it is an accident; a "feature" that sneaked into Aperture with the unified Aperture-iPhoto library.

I have been accustomed to opening projects/event in iPhoto this way from the "Events" view, for in iPhoto this always has been the only way to open projects, and so I did not notice at first, that we now had this strange intruder in Aperture. I thought this had been caused by opening my Aperture projects in iPhoto, because opening iPhoto libraries in Aperture also change their view in iPhoto.

Aperture's Inspector menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.