Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I attach the monitor in my Macintosh Classic to newer computer hardware?

I bought a MacIntosh Classic on eBay and I want to save the CRT monitor inside it to display the images from a new computer. I'm planning to put a new net-top computer (or my old Mac Mini if I can) inside the case of the MacIntosh Classic but I don't want to use a different monitor for this. I really want to use the original CRT monitor that is inside the box. Does anyone know how or if this is possible?

MacIntosh Classic-OTHER

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:22 AM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2013 9:40 AM in response to chc.meyer

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

I think your best source for info on this is one of the 'modding" sites. If you google for "apple mods" and "mac mods," you should find lots of info. I've seen several where someone put a Mac Mini inside tthe case of a Color Classic with good results. It's probably one of the more successful mods, along with putting a Mini in an iMac G3 CRT case.

With these conversions, it's the video connections that are key to a good outcome and most of the sites I've seen cover this critical step quite well.

Keep us posted on how you get on with it.

Allan

Jun 26, 2013 1:07 PM in response to chc.meyer

Like Allan suggested, I'd go to some of the other enthusiest Apple communities. Some are even around modding old Apple hardware.

I'm sure it's possible to do, although you probably will have to do some of the wiring and adapting the monitor yourself to the Mini's output.

Although, if you get it working using a B&W 1-bit monitor will likely not work well. OS X can't display that low of a bit depth and resolution. A Color Classic monitor may work better, or you could go online and find a replacement monitor that fits in there and has a higher resolution and is easier to set up.

People have done similar projects though. Good luck, it sounds like a fun project!

How can I attach the monitor in my Macintosh Classic to newer computer hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.