Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting Epson RX700 printer rear tray

When I had my Epson RX700 printer (all-in-one) connected to a Windows PC, I could select either front or rear paper trays for printing. With Mountain Lion, I have not been able to find any way to select a tray and have to accept a default depending on the type of paper being used and the print quality (standard plain paper and normal print draws from the front tray, photo paper and photo-quality print draws from the rear tray). This is OK until I need to print to stiff card using normal print quality - then the paper feed in the front fails and I get the "paper out" message. I can use the rear tray but only by selecting photo paper and photo-quality printing, which is both very slow and uses a vast amount of ink. Does anyone know of a way to select the rear tray but retaining the plain paper and normal print attributes?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:07 AM

9 replies

Jun 3, 2013 11:54 AM in response to bratman91

You need to read the user manual that came w/the printer. Some things will will on a Windows comp but not on a Mac or a particular OS version. If the user manual is of no help, call Epson and/or visit their troubleshooting website.

I have an Epson printer that can automatically print the front & back of paper. However, this does not work in ML. Not compatible *yet.* User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2013 12:28 PM in response to bratman91

I could select either front or rear paper trays for printing. With Mountain Lion, I have not been able to find any way to select a tray and have to accept a default depending on the type of paper being used and the print quality (standard plain paper and normal print draws from the front tray, photo paper and photo-quality print draws from the rear tray).

I have an Epson 810 (the replacement for your discontinued 700) and I just looked at your manual online - it appears to have the very same tray I have - which is one tray with special "inserts" for photo paper. I could not find any reference to a front or rear tray (or more than one).

In any case, here are two screenshots from my print dialog - they let me choose which paper (and it only comes from the photo tray if I choose it):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2013 4:15 PM in response to bratman91

The Epson RX700 definitely has both a front and rear tray - I have just had a look at the on-line manual and this is very clear

Okay - I looked at the RX700 manual and could not find it.

The options I have are nothing like the ones you have and do not include anything about either the front or rear tray.

The options aren't exclusive to my printer model; they are the default Mac OS 10.8 options from the Preview print dialog window; I get the pretty much the same options (and window) no matter which app I use for printing.

Which application are you trying to use to print from?

Edit:

Ahh, I finally see: there is a sheet feeder for special Epson paper or you can use plain paper following their instructions. I assume that is what you were referring to as a rear tray:

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2013 4:13 PM in response to bratman91

bratman91 wrote:

The manual does not include anything that might help and the printer driver is from Apple rather than Epson.

Apple do not write Epson (or any other) printer drivers, they are supplied by the manufacturer of the printer and then distributed by Apple, or Microsoft (depending on which you use)

They are also usually available from the printer manufacturers website.

Jun 4, 2013 5:32 AM in response to babowa

"Ahh, I finally see: there is a sheet feeder for special Epson paper or you can use plain paper following their instructions. I assume that is what you were referring to as a rear tray:"

I think that you must have looked in the "Basics" pdf file because the "Reference guide" (HTML) consistently calls it the "back tray" - but it's the same thing.

Initially, I was using OpenOffice to create and print the file but this gives very limited print options. When I switched to Preview, although the options I have are not specified in exactly the same terms as yours. you pointed me in the right direction (I had not selected the second level of pop-down menu for A4 paper and this does allow me to select the back tray) so I am very grateful for your help.

Jun 4, 2013 9:58 AM in response to bratman91

You're welcome; make sure you try all the pop-up menus available in that dialog window - there are a lot of choices. As for the drivers: Apple makes mfr's drivers available to make it easy for consumers - before they release a new OS, they usually give mfr's an opportunity to test the new OS so they can come out with an update for their product. At some point, they decide not to support it any longer, so then you're caught in the "having to buy a new version/product" syndrom.

Selecting Epson RX700 printer rear tray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.