Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it legal to use a song purchased from the iTunes Store?

I'd like to put a song on my website. However, that song is a song which I purchased from the iTunes Store. Is it legal for me to put that song on my website?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.2, 64 Gigabyte 4th Generation

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 1:16 PM

No, it's not legal, not without a license from the owner of the rights to the track, usually the record company, to provide it on a web site, and such a license would be difficult to obtain and probably prohibitively expensive. Use of tracks for any purpose other than your own personal playback is also a violation of the terms of sale of the iTunes Store. If you want music on your web site, I'd suggest composing and performing your own, perhaps with GarageBand, or buying a track from one of the services that offer royalty-free licences.

Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 1:16 PM in response to joshuafromwaterford

No, it's not legal, not without a license from the owner of the rights to the track, usually the record company, to provide it on a web site, and such a license would be difficult to obtain and probably prohibitively expensive. Use of tracks for any purpose other than your own personal playback is also a violation of the terms of sale of the iTunes Store. If you want music on your web site, I'd suggest composing and performing your own, perhaps with GarageBand, or buying a track from one of the services that offer royalty-free licences.

Regards.

Is it legal to use a song purchased from the iTunes Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.