Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling Image Capture Extention

Hello! So, I've been having significant issues with my iMac as I launch certains applications and which in turn initiates Image Capture Extension. Image Capture Extension (ICE) highjacks all my RAM right away. I've been trying to find this extension file on my HD to disable it so I can launch the software (Chrome, Adobe Bridge, Scanner) without ICE, but no luck so far. Can you, please, share your experience with getting this nasty thing under control.

Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:20 AM

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

/Library/Caches

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. It may contain one or more files with names beginning in "com.apple.ImageCapture". Move those files to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password. Log out, log back in, and see whether there's any change.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 11:20 AM in response to Alexey Sunly

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

/Library/Caches

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. It may contain one or more files with names beginning in "com.apple.ImageCapture". Move those files to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password. Log out, log back in, and see whether there's any change.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Oct 26, 2015 5:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

I have the same issue...

I followed Linc's directions fully (trashed all "com.apple.ImageCapture" files), rebooted but when I opened FCPX I got the spinning beach ball again.

Th activity monitor showed both FCPX and Image Capture Extension were both not responding. This has been driving me crazy and I can't finish my video projects.

I went to see if there were new caches and yes there was;

file:///Library/Caches/com.apple.ImageCaptureExtension2.ICADeviceDatabase.501

file:///Library/Caches/com.apple.ImageCaptureNotifications.DeviceDiscoveryDataba se.501

Any other advice please ??

Peter

Disabling Image Capture Extention

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.