Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've been reading about moving iPhoto to an external HD. But can you also have an new reinstall of iPhoto on your laptop to manage "some of the photos you'd like to keep on the laptop? Access slows way down once all is on the External HD?

Can I have two iPhotos? One on my laptop with important work related photos, so I can access them quickly, and the rest of the "family" photos in another iPhoto on an external HD?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:55 AM

Yes, you can have as many libraries as you'd like. Move your existing library to the EHD by dragging it from your Pictures fodler to the EHD. Make sure the EHD is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored:

User uploaded file

When the copy is completed launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the library on the EHD to open. Confirm that it's working properly and all your photos are there. When that's done the library in your Pictures folder can be dragged to the Trash bin and deleted.

For your smaller library again launch iPhoto with the option key held down and use the Create New button to create a new library in your Pictures folder.

User uploaded file

To move events between libraries while maintaining all editing, keywords, title changes, places, etc, use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager.

OT

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 11:55 AM in response to Buba's Girl

Yes, you can have as many libraries as you'd like. Move your existing library to the EHD by dragging it from your Pictures fodler to the EHD. Make sure the EHD is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored:

User uploaded file

When the copy is completed launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the library on the EHD to open. Confirm that it's working properly and all your photos are there. When that's done the library in your Pictures folder can be dragged to the Trash bin and deleted.

For your smaller library again launch iPhoto with the option key held down and use the Create New button to create a new library in your Pictures folder.

User uploaded file

To move events between libraries while maintaining all editing, keywords, title changes, places, etc, use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager.

OT

I've been reading about moving iPhoto to an external HD. But can you also have an new reinstall of iPhoto on your laptop to manage "some of the photos you'd like to keep on the laptop? Access slows way down once all is on the External HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.