Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Airport Express to Airport Extreme Network

Sorry if this subject has already been covered on here, but I couldn't find anything. I have my broadband running via my Airport Extreme, and am trying to connect my Airport Express so that I can play music wirelessly using Airplay, but Express is not showing in Airport Utility. I've read that I need to download the old version of Airport Utility, which I have done but it's still not showing. I managed to connect to it yesterday, but that was before I set up Extreme. I do not know a lot about creating networks (I don't know the difference between wireless network, LAN or a bridge).

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 12:18 PM

4 replies

Jun 5, 2013 9:12 AM in response to dickybran

Hi dickybran,

Here is an article about adding an Airport Express to an existing network in client mode, which may be what you need to do:

AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1731

This article explains a little bit more about client mode:

AirPort Express: What is client mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2272

Cheers!

- Ari

Jun 5, 2013 9:45 AM in response to ariel s

Hi Ari,

Thanks for the links. I've already followed the first one but it wasn't much help because I was not able to see the Express, and it doesn't go into detail why that might be. Like I said before, I was able to see the Express when Extreme wasn't connected, but once I connected Extreme Express won't appear. Do you know of any reason why this might be? The second link talks about certain 802.11's not working with Express (I think my Express is the 1st generation). Like I say I don't know much about networking, so when I've gone through the setup options I'm not sure if I'm selecting the correct options.

Thanks again.

Jun 11, 2013 9:23 AM in response to laundry bleach

So in the end I gave up trying to connect Extreme and just use Express. I finally managed to get it to show up in Airport Utility, went through all the setup options, and then it said it needs to restart the device. I waited a few minutes and then it said it could not find the device. I did the same thing another 3 times and the same thing happened. Any ideas? I might give up and buy the latest Express.

Connecting Airport Express to Airport Extreme Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.